Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggested BF/pumping schedule for 2 week old

Default Suggested BF/pumping schedule for 2 week old

Hello!

Hoping to find some help here! Baby J is 13 days old today. Between recovering from the c-section (+ dealing with the pain meds making me constantly sleepy), and all of the visits from family, I have yet to establish anything resembling a routine for her. I basically try to nurse every 3 hours, but also respond 'on demand' which throws the whole 3 hours thing off. But on to my real questions...

I want to nurse her through the day, but also find time to pump enough to leave my husband 1-2 feedings worth to get her through the night AND freeze some to start a stockpile for my return to work in 2 mos. If I'm nursing every 3 hrs...I just don't know when to pump. I seem to be able to produce a good amount when I do pump (5oz in about 10 minutes), but I dont want to risk running out for the next feeding. This has to be a common problem...can anyone advise a sample schedule for all of this BF'ing/pumping?

I just cant seem to come up with a schedule myself.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Suggested BF/pumping schedule for 2 week old

Congratulations on your new baby.

At this point, you really don't need to be concerned with routines or schedules. Babies need to feed more on demand then by a clock. 2 months from now will figure itself out in 2 months.

Why does your husband need to feed her throughout the night? Are you not nursing during those sessions? Are you pumping then instead?
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; October 29th, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

and congratulations on your new baby!! You sound really ambitious to get this all organized right off the bat and I totally understand that urge. But my recommendation to you would be to hold off on trying to do so much at once. Relax, enjoy getting to know your baby and give both of you time to learn how to nurse together. It is normal not to have a routine yet- in fact it would be abnormal if you HAD established a routine already, since newborns need to eat when they are hungry and that doesn't happen according to anyone's schedule but their own (). Over time you will notice patterns to your baby's behavior and you can work out a general routine according to baby's natural tendencies.

The most important thing I wanted to address is that it is normal for a newborn baby to eat very frequently- most eat every 1-2 hours. You said you are feeding on demand, which is excellent, definitely do not try to restrict your baby to every 3 hours. Breastmilk digests very quickly and usually a feeding will digest within about 90 minutes so waiting too long results in a hungry baby and a reduced supply on your part (since breastmilk production is supply and demand).

You might also want to hold off another couple of weeks before offering a bottle. Offering one too soon could lead to nipple confusion, where baby prefers bottle to breast. And if you miss feedings at night you would want to get up at those times to pump, since missing feedings (especially 2) this early in the game can definitely have an impact on your supply.

As I mentioned, I would probably wait another couple of weeks to start pumping, but when you do start one way to do it is to pump a little bit after each feeding, or some feedings. You won't get much at once, but it will add up over time. Most women have the highest supply in the mornings so that is usually a good time to pump some extra. You don't need to worry too much about whether baby will want to nurse soon after pumping, as your breasts are constantly making milk and the pump will never be able to efficiently empty your breast the way your baby will. If baby wants to nurse right after you pump there will still be milk, though it might come a bit slower than usual.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Why does your husband need to feed her throughout the night? Are you not nursing during those sessions? Are you pumping then instead?

So far, I have found time at some point in the day (no real pattern as to when) to pump. Then at midnight I go to sleep and my husband feeds her at 3am and 5-6am by the bottle, so I can get some rest.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*workinonit View Post
    So far, I have found time at some point in the day (no real pattern as to when) to pump. Then at midnight I go to sleep and my husband feeds her at 3am and 5-6am by the bottle, so I can get some rest.
    Can you nap when she naps during the day? I know how tiring a newborn is, but you want to be careful that too many missed nursing/pumping opportunities don't effect your supply.

On demand feeding round the clock is the best way to get your milk supply good and established, especially before you start hitting all those early growth spurts.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Can you nap when she naps during the day? I know how tiring a newborn is, but you want to be careful that too many missed nursing/pumping opportunities don't effect your supply.

On demand feeding round the clock is the best way to get your milk supply good and established, especially before you start hitting all those early growth spurts.
    You know, try as I might, I just cant seem to sleep during the day. Even when I feel exhausted and make it dark, etc...seems like my internal clock just knows its daytime.

But I'm ok with nixing the bottle feedings and putting her to breast at those 2 night time feedings. I just constantly worry about falling asleep while I hold her, or rolling over on her, etc.

It sounds like I really need to be putting off the whole pumping thing for a while.. though I thought it was going well...

You know, try as I might, I just cant seem to sleep during the day. Even when I feel exhausted and make it dark, etc...seems like my internal clock just knows its daytime.

But I'm ok with nixing the bottle feedings and putting her to breast at those 2 night time feedings. I just constantly worry about falling asleep while I hold her, or rolling over on her, etc.

It sounds like I really need to be putting off the whole pumping thing for a while.. though I thought it was going well...
    So you are co-sleeping? Don't worry mama...we ALL worry at first. Just make sure to practice safe co-sleeping and nursing at night takes care of itself. it is so easy! Roll over, give her the boob, and both of you drift off back to sleep. Definitely a life saver for tired mamas!

If you haven't seen it already, here is some info from Dr Gordon about cosleeping.

Co-sleeping has been a safe, healthy, and wonderful alternative to the crib for many families. Katie Allison Granju, author of Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child, recommends these safety factors when co-sleeping (many can be applied to crib sleep as well):

When using a standard, off-the-floor bed, be absolutely sure that your baby cannot roll or fall off the sides.

Young infants should sleep between their mother and the bed rail, not between both parents or beside an older sibling.

Make sure that your mattress or futon provides a firm sleeping surface. Never, ever allow an infant to sleep on a waterbed, featherbed, beanbag, deep pillowtop mattress or other inappropriately soft surface.

Never sleep with your baby if you are under the influence of drugs, alcohol or prescription medication that makes you unusually groggy or sleepy.

Exceptionally obese parents should use a sidecar arrangement (crib attached to the side of the bed) rather than having a young infant in the bed with them.

Do not overload your bed with excessive pillows, blankets, or stuffed animals.

Never fall asleep on a couch, sofa, or overstuffed chair with your baby.

Do not stuff too many bodies into a bed with a small baby.

Make sure that your baby isn't overdressed. Remember, the body heat in a family bed makes most bedtime bundling unnecessary.

Dress your baby in safe sleepwear. Flame retardant with no strings or ties, just as you would if she were sleeping alone.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    and congratulations on your new baby!! You sound really ambitious to get this all organized right off the bat and I totally understand that urge. But my recommendation to you would be to hold off on trying to do so much at once. Relax, enjoy getting to know your baby and give both of you time to learn how to nurse together. It is normal not to have a routine yet- in fact it would be abnormal if you HAD established a routine already, since newborns need to eat when they are hungry and that doesn't happen according to anyone's schedule but their own (). Over time you will notice patterns to your baby's behavior and you can work out a general routine according to baby's natural tendencies.
    I guess I am a little overly-eager to get organized Thanks for the advice.

So you are co-sleeping? Don't worry mama...we ALL worry at first. Just make sure to practice safe co-sleeping and nursing at night takes care of itself. it is so easy! Roll over, give her the boob, and both of you drift off back to sleep. Definitely a life saver for tired mamas!

If you haven't seen it already, here is some info from Dr Gordon about cosleeping.
    Actually no, I just nurse her in the glider, or while sitting up in bed, or on the sofa. I'm thinking maybe trying out co-sleeping is the next step.

Actually no, I just nurse her in the glider, or while sitting up in bed, or on the sofa. I'm thinking maybe trying out co-sleeping is the next step.
    That's what worked best for me. I never intended to do it, it's just the only way I could make night time nursing work for me. As long as you follow the guidelines for doing it safely, it is a great tool in the breastfeeding mothers' arsenal.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous