Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing questions...

Question Storing questions...

Ok, I did check out the FAQ link that I had seen posted on a different thread about how to store human milk, but I still had a question.

On the FAQ page it says...

Disposable bottle liners or plastic bags are not recommended. With these, the risk of contamination is greater. Bags are less durable and tend to leak, and some types of plastic may destroy nutrients in milk.
    Is this in regards to freezing human milk only?

Here is my delimma. Tomorrow I am going to go visit my mother and will most likely be there for several hours, and I am bringing my baby (of course!). I don't know that I will be able to nurse while I am there since there will be some other people there as well, so I am planning on bringing some milk that I have pumped. Now, I only have two little bottles that actually fit on my pump. I was hoping to bring at least three bottles in case I need them all. The other type of bottles that I have are Playtex Nursers that have the drop-in liners. If I were to dump one of the already pumped bottles of milk (pumped today) that has been in the fridge into one of the Playtex Nurser bottles with a liner, and save it for tomorrow, would that be ok? Or is that still not recommended, since it would then be in a bottle liner.

I did read somewhere in a book (I think) that said storing milk in the fridge with the nipple on is not recommended either. Because I don't have just a lid for the Playtex Nurser bottles, I'd have to put a nipple on it, and then a cap over the nipple. I'm also wondering why it says it's not store bottles in the fridge with nipples on them? Only thing I could think of was, the nipple possibly absorbing the odors in the fridge? Maybe there are other reasons.

Thanks.
    Married to my best friend Matt, 10/14/06.
    First time mom to Aiden, born 09/22/09.
    He was 7 lbs. 14 oz. and 20 inches long at birth.

Default Re: Storing questions...

I'm sorry I can't help with the storage question, but is there a reason why you can't nurse while there? If it's a matter of modesty, you can cover up with something... Just curious as this would solve the problem for you...
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*star.sapphire View Post
    I'm sorry I can't help with the storage question, but is there a reason why you can't nurse while there? If it's a matter of modesty, you can cover up with something... Just curious as this would solve the problem for you...
    I agree. It would be a lot easier. If you are there for that long, you'll probably need to pump anyway. Just easier to nurse the baby. If you aren't comfortable you can cover up like pp said, go into another room, or even your car.

As for the storage q, maybe that's for longer term. I think if you were to prepare a bottle, put in the fridge for a little bit til you need it it would be okay I never worried about storing w/nipple on I put a cap over it. But my bottles were only in the fridge for a few hours maybe. Maybe someone else knows.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Nurse your baby! It'll get easier as you do it, in a close setting in mixed company is kind of scary if your a new mom. Excuse yourself if you've got to but put on a brave face and be confident as you can about nursing! It's a good thing!

I think you'd be fine for what you want to do with storage, they are talking about storing or freezing for long term. Eventually putting nipples in the fridge or freezer will destroy them. They crack really easy and are a lot more expendable than most people think!

That is true. I'm personally not comfortable with nursing in front of everyone. And when I have been at my mother-in-law's house I've gone into a bedroom to nurse before. I just figured having bottles of pumped milk might be a little easier. Lol. Thanks for the responses.

But if anyone still has further comments, please feel free to leave some.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*punkysquirrel View Post
    I'm personally not comfortable with nursing in front of everyone.
    Like all things, this gets easier with time and practice. Do you have a boppy or some other pillow? And a nursing cover? With just the boppy and your shirt, no one will be able to see anything while you are nursing, but you can include the nursing cover or a small blanket to go over your shoulder and cover the babies head (not on their head, but draped).

I used to be shy about it. Now I will nurse wherever, whenever - no problems.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I just noticed how old your LO is. At that point I wasn't yet comfortable yet either. I had to take so much effort just to get her in the right position and latched correctly. I would usually go into another room or the car or somewhere quiet where everyone wouldn't see me struggle. It will get easier and more comfortable in time though. Now we'll do it anytime and anywhere, but it took me a while to get to that point
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

It is hard when they are so little! If you think about it though- your probably going to have to excuse yourself at least once to pump to keep from busting at the seams. My LO would never take a bottle from me or at bottle at all if I was within baby-dar sensory range (that's at least a mile ). You may not have that issue though.

Have you tried nursing in front of a mirror? It can really help.
    Are you guys pretty comfortable with latch or are you working on it? At one point I realized that I could put my LO near my bare breast and he could latch on well himself, I was still looking and helping him but he could do it just fine.
    Keep trying!

You might try going somewhere else, latching him on, checking yourself out in the mirror and then returning to the gathering.

@llli*mommy2lilah Yes, I have a Boppy pillow. I love that thing. I'll admit, I wanted it mostly because of the cute cover it had, but also because I thought it might be helpful. And it turns out, it is helpful and I even have been recommending to people who are expecting. I don't have a nursing cover, but anytime I have left the room to nurse somewhere else, just as a precaution I've draped a receiving blanket over us in case someone walked in the room.

@llli*bunnyscooltes Baby will take a bottle from me or anyone. He's also never had problems latching on (I know some people have a lot of problems--I am very thankful we've been sucessful with it). I'll have to try nursing in front of a mirror. That is a good idea. Thanks.

pumped breast milk is good for at least 4 hrs at room temp and up to 8 days in the fridge. This info was given to me by the LC at the hospital and my pediatrician. I have even seen some sources say it can be left out at room temp for up to 10hrs( that was according to the pump company) and what to expect the first year says 6hrs at room temp. I would try to go with the 4-6hr range just to be safe, but I hear you about not wanting to nurse infront of people. I felt bad taking the baby away to nurse when everyone was there to see him. my advice, take the bottles and your pump, that way if you feel the need to pump you can go into a room and everyone still gets to see the baby. everyone wins!

p.s. if the breast milk has been frozen then thawed it is good at room temp for an hour and in the fridge for 24hrs.