Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this okay?

Default Is this okay?

I've just recently returned to work, DS is 4 months old. My DS feeds only one side per feeding and feeds about every 2 hours. I've been feeding him before I leave in the morning while pumping the other. Then I'll pump every 4 hours at work. First pump, I'll get about 10-12oz total, 2nd pump 8oz then 3rd pump is about 6 or 7oz. Does this seem about right to have a decrease throughout the day?

Default Re: Is this okay?

I believe it is correct to have a decrease throughout the day. Our supply is at it's highest first thing in the morning. If you're pumping enough for his supply for the next day, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, with your baby nursing on the other side, the pump side will release more milk to the pump than pumping both sides at once. That's a great amount and it sounds like you're doing really well!
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.

Wow. That is a crazy amount that you are pumping! Is your baby drinking all that in a day at the babysitter?

My output usually decreases through the day too.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

DS stays at home with DH because i only work weekends. i am gone about 15 hours when i work. (12.5hr shift plus commute) He drinks most of what i'm pumping. The amount per feeding varies each time because DS does not like taking a bottle at all, so many ounces get wasted! And yes, I pump several ounces per day, thankfully!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmom0921 View Post
    so many ounces get wasted!
    Can you ask your husband to make only one or two ounce bottles to make sure your son will drink it? My daughter has never liked the bottle either and she will only drink one or two ounces at a time. If she doesn't finish it, then it just gets used the next time she eats. That way we really cut down on waste.

Can you ask your husband how many ounces your son actually eats and how much gets thrown out?

I'm not trying to second guess you here. I'm just concerned that you are going to continue to try pumping close to 30 ounces a day while your husband dumps 10 or more down the drain. That is a lot to pump and if/when your supply evens out, it may be very difficult to keep up with that amount.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You're doing real good.

I've often heard that many women get less each time through the day.

Mine was different; I was about equal throughout except my first pumping was usually more than the rest. However, I wasn't nursing as well, so I expect that might explain the difference.

I'd also have the husband try smaller amounts, maybe once the little one takes a 2 ouncer, try a 4 ouncer and see if you can settle in on an amount that they will usually drink.

Good luck!
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

he usually makes 2oz bottles....but of course DS will sometimes only take 1/2oz then, he will try another 2oz bottle later and then DS cries for more and when its heated, he doesnt want it. It's a battle for them! Thankfully, I only work about 4 days a month! THanks for the input ladies.......