Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If I'm not nursing/pumping all day, can I please take some DayQuil?

Question If I'm not nursing/pumping all day, can I please take some DayQuil?

I feel like sh*t on a stick. I nurse Ian, almost 15mo., in the early morning then not again till after school, at around 4. If I take some DayQuil around 930 (I have to go buy it yet), will it be enough out of my system by the time I nurse the little chunk?

TIA...
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: If I'm not nursing/pumping all day, can I please take some DayQuil?

I don't know but I do know Robistussin has non acholic formulas and they don't make you sleepy they are great and sudafed too!!.. Both I have taken while nursing with the ok from my peditrian.. When I was really really sick... Tiff recommended this stuff call Humcka it really worked wonders I loved it..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

IVe taken it before
    when my toddlers were that age, just make sure that you drink alot of fluids to go with it,

that way your body will not dry out.

here's a good page from kelly moms about how to pick

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

Treat only the symptoms you have: avoid a combination medicine when a single one will do the job.
    Short-acting forms of drugs (6 hours or less) are generally better than the long-acting varieties (but see the info below on the nonsedating antihistamines).
    Use nasal spray instead of oral medications when possible (see below).
    Take any medication right AFTER you nurse and only as needed.
    The 2004 edition of Medications and Mothers' Milk by Thomas Hale, PhD has information on many cold medications (including specific guidance on combination products) in the Appendix (p. 874-889). Many of the active ingredients in cold and allergy medications are listed below.

OK, I'll try Sudafed. Thanks, ladies. Sudafed Cold, or what? And I'll look up Humcka, thanks.
    ---Josie

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

BF for 22 mo.

I wanted to say too I used to love dayquil and it worked well but they did change the formula in maybe the last 3 years. Since kids were making crack out of it.
    Since they changed the formula it does not work as well!
    You might pick something diffent.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    but they did change the formula in maybe the last 3 years. Since kids were making crack out of it.
    Oh, my. You'd think I'd have heard about that since I teach high school kids.
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

I take Benadryl almost every night for allergies and have had no issues with my milk supply. It's definitely not for daytime use though since it does make you drowsy. Some women notice a decrease in supply with antihistamines and some do not. I personally have never noticed a decrease.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

http://www.naturesway.com/?zid=110 (the Umcka cold products)
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012