Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not pumping enough?

Default Not pumping enough?

I work and have to pump, and he has started eating more than I am getting, however I know he eats enough over the weekend when I feed him b/c he has a lot of wet diapers...Do I need a better pupp or start taking herbs??

Default Re: Not pumping enough?

Hi,

The answer to your question depends on a number of factors. How old is your baby? What is your current pumping arrangement (when are you pumping, and for how long, how much are you getting per pumping session)? What kind of pump do you have right now?

Babies are almost always better at milking the breast than pumps are. Since your baby seems to be getting plenty to eat when the two of you are able to nurse, it is probably not a supply issue, so herbs might not be the best answer in your case. If you are using a substandard pump, then it is probably time to consider something of higher quality.

If you can answer those first few questions for me, I will be able to give you a more thorough response.

Take Care,

Tiana

he is 4 1/2 months old...i pump at 0800, 10 or 1030 and then 230pm...and then I have him...i pump for about 10 min and no more comes out...i usually about 6 oz in the morning...3 or so the 2nd time...and then about 5-6 at the last one..i have an evenflo pump...

Well, it seems to me that it is not a supply issue...you are actually getting a pretty decent amount of milk at your pumping sessions. What kind of pump is the Evenflo...is it a double electric, battery operated, manual? If you are not yet using a double electric pump, that could definitely increase the amount of milk you get at each pumping session.

Another thought...do you have time to pump for more than ten minutes? Even if you stop getting milk after those ten minutes, pumping for a few minutes after the milk stops flowing can increase your milk production. By the same logic, you might also try pumping after one or two of baby's evening nursing sessions. If you get a little milk to use the next day, so much the better.

Just one more thing to remember. Babies can sometimes adjust their nursing schedules to cope with daytime seperations from mom. More than a few working mothers have found that their babies won't eat much during the day, but instead prefer to get the vast majority of their calories from mom when they are together at night. The easiest way to make this happen is to bring baby to bed with you and nurse. If that idea doesn't seem like a good fit for your family, you could try offering additional late evening or early morning nursing sessions to see if LO is interested.

Are those some ideas you think you could use?

Hang in there. It sounds like you're doing a great job.

Take Care,

Tiana

I will try doing it longer than 10 minutes and see if that helps. I bring him to bed with me in the morning sometimes...but I'm afraid i might smother him if it were all night...thank you for your help...

ya know i thought that i would smoother chase if i brought him to bed with me as well, but now we co sleep every night. i have found that if i put my arm under him and keep him up on a pillow (i wedge the pillow under my back so he doesnt fall between it and me) we do just fine. it keeps him in place and i dont roll cause i feel this thing on my arm and i cant roll onto my arm cause its not comfy. hth but i know its not for everyone. hugs