Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my baby demanding too much milk?

Post Is my baby demanding too much milk?

I wasn't sure which topic to post this under, hopefully someone here can help!

My LO is 4 months old and 15 pounds. He's always been around the 25-50th percentile for weight. He is at daycare while I work 11-12 hours a day (including commute). I nurse him before I leave (5:30am), when we get home (6:30pm), and before bed (8:30pm). He sleeps through the night (I wake him at 5:30). On average, he has a wet diaper about every hour while he's awake and has 1-2 dirty diapers a day. I pump two to three times a day, totaling 16-18 ounces while I'm at work (letting the pump run for at least 5 minutes after the last drops).

The problem we've run into: Eric drinks about 20-25 ounces of EBM at daycare every day. I've completely depleted my freezer stash in one month (125 ounces). I started taking Fenugreek and eating oatmeal every day, which is what gets me the 16-18 ounces (I was at 11 ounces). Overall, he's getting over 35 ounces of breastmilk a day (I've tried exclusively pumping for a day just to see how much I get) for the last month.

The daycare is concerned because he continues to be extremely mad/fussy when he finishes his bottles and will not calm down until they give another bottle, which he finishes! The bottles are 6 ounces each. Whenever my husband or I have given him a bottle on a weekend (which is not frequent) or occasionally after nursing, he will get extremely upset when you take the bottle or breast away to burp him- we're talking red/purple-in-the-face, full-blast-screaming. I'm thinking that's what he's doing at daycare, so they're freaked out that he's not getting enough.

I've read on KellyMom that 25 ounces is a generally reasonable daily amount. I know that's just a guidline, but shouldn't 35 ounces a day be more than enough? He's under ideal weight even with the supplement of my frozen stash, so he's obviously not overeating. Is it possible that my milk isn't "potent" enough to satisfy his hunger? Anyone else experience this? Is there anything I can do?
    Married my best friend in 2006
    Gave birth to a beautiful baby boy in June 2009

He's been a champ at for the past 5 months with no sign of slowing down!
    And <<knock on wood>> started sleeping through the night when he was 2 weeks old
    I'm figuring out all the tricks to while I work outside the home full-time

Default Re: Is my baby demanding too much milk?

your milk is fine,
    It does sound like they are overfeeding him.
    So he's talking 12 oz of milk at a time? Each feeding?
    Does he take a passifier?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

hints from that link:

If your baby is taking substantially more than the average amounts, consider the possibility that baby is being given too much milk while you are away. Things that can contribute to overfeeding include:

Fast flow bottles. Always use the lowest flow bottle nipple that baby will tolerate.
    Using bottle feeding as the primary way to comfort baby. Some well-meaning caregivers feed baby the bottle every time he makes a sound. Use the calculator above to estimate the amount of milk that baby needs, and start with that amount. If baby still seems to be hungry, have your caregiver first check to see whether baby will settle with walking, rocking, holding, etc. before offering another ounce or two.
    Baby's need to suck. Babies have a very strong need to suck, and the need may be greater while mom is away (sucking is comforting to baby). A baby can control the flow of milk at the breast and will get minimal milk when he mainly needs to suck. When drinking from a bottle, baby gets a larger constant flow of milk as long as he is sucking. If baby is taking large amounts of expressed milk while you are away, you might consider encouraging baby to suck fingers or thumb, or consider using a pacifier for the times when mom is not available, to give baby something besides the bottle to satisfy his sucking needs.
    If, after trying these suggestions, you're still having a hard time pumping enough milk, see I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

with Andrea- sounds like there's some overfeeding going on. 35 oz a day, and 12 oz bottles... I'm no expert but that definitely sounds like too much.

Does your baby take a paci? Maybe he's fussy after the bottle is done because he's still needing some comfort sucking?

I just wanted to address this:
    He's under ideal weight even with the supplement of my frozen stash, so he's obviously not overeating.
    Being in the 25th-50th percentile does not mean your baby is under ideal weight- healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes, and statistically speaking, there are just as many healthy babies in the 1st percentile as there are in the 99th, and just as many in the 25th percentile as there are in the 75th. A baby doesn't have to be "above average" on the charts to be healthy. As long as he is growing in height in weight, it doesn't matter if he's in the 5th percentile or the 95th.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wonder about the flow of the nipple as well. It could be that he's finishing the bottle before his tummy signals that it's full, so he gobbles down another bottle -- but he really doesn't need it.

Also, make sure that he's really hungry and isn't fussy for some other reason. When I started leaving baby #2 with a sitter, they would feed him no matter what if he started fussing (he wasn't a very noisy baby anyway) and he would guzzle down 12 oz in 4 hours. Changing sitters helped with that a lot.

Ideal weight has NOTHING to do with the charts and all about your baby's physical frame. If your ped isn't worried about your baby's size, then don't be. Besides, the growth curves most docs use and therefore worry moms with are based on FF babies.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Being in the 25th-50th percentile does not mean your baby is under ideal weight- healthy babies come in all shapes and sizes, and statistically speaking, there are just as many healthy babies in the 1st percentile as there are in the 99th, and just as many in the 25th percentile as there are in the 75th. A baby doesn't have to be "above average" on the charts to be healthy. As long as he is growing in height in weight, it doesn't matter if he's in the 5th percentile or the 95th.
    - The reason I mentioned the weight charts was to confirm he's at a healthy weight but that he's not overweight as a result of the extra feedings.

He won't take a pacifier, I was the same way when I was a baby. The nipples on his bottles are the slow flow ones. It sounds like the best thing for me to do is to work on the feeding methods at DCP. Thanks for all your thougths!
    Married my best friend in 2006
    Gave birth to a beautiful baby boy in June 2009

He's been a champ at for the past 5 months with no sign of slowing down!
    And <<knock on wood>> started sleeping through the night when he was 2 weeks old
    I'm figuring out all the tricks to while I work outside the home full-time