Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange behavior- teething?

Default Strange behavior- teething?

My LO is 3 months and 1 week, which is early for teething, but DH and all his siblings were early teethers so that is what I suspect. Symptoms:
    1. Drool. Lots. And it's stringy (eeew)
    2. Gnawing on EVERYTHING in sight (and I can't find any BPA free toys locally :-( )
    3. Sleeping less at night, but napping longer in the morning

Those aren't that strange. Here's the kicker: DS is constantly trying to latch onto everything in sight (usually my face or DH's face). All. The. Time. Even when he JUST ate minutes ago and is satisfied. I'll offer the breast and he just looks at it and starts "talking" to me. Sometimes he'll suck once. And when I give him back to DH he is ok for a while then starts "looking for boobie," as DH puts it. He opens his mouth wide and shakes his head from side to side like he's rooting. Is he just looking for something to chew/suck on? Anyone else have a LO that does this?

Gotta run- he's fussing.
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

Default Re: Strange behavior- teething?

It does sound like he's teething. My LO wanted to nurse all.the.time when she was teething! It was very exhausting.
    Your baby may start showing signs of teething now, but it could take a while for the teeth to break.
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

What a relief to find this thread! I feel like you're describing my LO exactly. She recently went from sleeping 12-13 hours at night to approximately four. She has to wear a bib because of all the drool. Good grief, what a relief to know someone else is going through this, too!
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

Glad it's normal! I should dig out his bibs- he hasn't needed them before! D'ya think it'd be safe to give him a mesh feeder with an ice cube in it to chew on? He's too young for solids... It's bpa free... or is that too much water? I don't even know if he'd get much water or if he'd like it...
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*solatido View Post
    Glad it's normal! I should dig out his bibs- he hasn't needed them before! D'ya think it'd be safe to give him a mesh feeder with an ice cube in it to chew on? He's too young for solids... It's bpa free... or is that too much water? I don't even know if he'd get much water or if he'd like it...
    I would do "breastmilk cubes" instead , because I think he's too young to get any water right now.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    I would do "breastmilk cubes" instead , because I think he's too young to get any water right now.
    What a great idea!!!
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

Just make sure you warn your other family members so that their drinks don't taste weird when they put ice cubes from the ice tray in them
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emc909 View Post
    What a relief to find this thread! I feel like you're describing my LO exactly. She recently went from sleeping 12-13 hours at night to approximately four. She has to wear a bib because of all the drool. Good grief, what a relief to know someone else is going through this, too!
    I'm glad she's drooling, though - my DS was a swallower, and all of that extra saliva was really hard on his poor little . If I didn't get a poop off right away - and I mean within a minute or two - it wasn't pretty.

Great idea re the bm cubes! I would suggest a mini-cube tray, (like this one). It will be useful for bm cubes now, and ice cubes in a few months (DS lived on ice cubes when he was older & teething).

I would also recommend getting some of the kind of teethers that you put in the fridge; those are really soothing to baby's gums as well.

, mama, and remember - this too will pass!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I'll try freezing some bm- better get a-pumpin'! Water (maybe a small cube a day) will be ok when he's about 6 months or older?

Now would letting him suck on a few bm cubes count as part of a feeding? Should I pump a little when I give him one? Or does it depend on how much he actually ingests?

Fortunately, I'm a SAHM, so the sleep pattern change doesn't bother me too much. We co-sleep so I usually just keep DS in bed for one more feeding cycle after DH leaves. That usually makes up for the missed sleep at night.

The only reason the constant nursing bugs me is that I have a bit of OS (but not too bad) so when he nurses more than usual he always gets more than he wants or needs and winds up spitting it up. However, when he doesn't want to nurse for food he is often happy to be cuddled and suck on the side of my hand. If not, I block feed.

He's also coughing a lot and gagging from all the drool. No fun!
    -Martin Luther

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*solatido View Post
    I'll try freezing some bm- better get a-pumpin'! Water (maybe a small cube a day) will be ok when he's about 6 months or older?

Now would letting him suck on a few bm cubes count as part of a feeding? Should I pump a little when I give him one? Or does it depend on how much he actually ingests?
    Definitely ice cubes are okay when he's 6mo or older. They don't get that much liquid that way (most of it ended up on DS's shirt), it's mostly for the soothing feeling. Actually, my super-pro-breastfeeding doc (90%+ of his patients nurse for at least a year) told me that after 4mo I could rub an ice cube on DS's gums for a few seconds before nursing, if he was hurting too much to nurse.

If you have trouble with your freezer stash, you could pump when you give a cube, but otherwise I wouldn't bother, especially if you're using little cubes. (I could fill a tray with one pumping session, so I just did it occasionally.) They could count as part of a feeding, but again, it is likely that a lot of it will come out of the mouth rather than getting swallowed, so I would monitor that and your DS's hunger.

Here are a couple of online sources for BPA-free teethers. Even if they come as this cycle is ending, there's more teething right around the corner , so they'll come in handy:
    http://www.nubiusorganics.com/Naturs...ish-P1333.aspx
    http://www.dwellsmart.com/Products/B...ing-Ring-Apple
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png