Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mastitis?

Default mastitis?

My left breast is swollen, very sore and there are red areas and streaks. Doesn't seem to be a plug, so I was wondering about mastitis. I feel kind of generally yucky today, thought maybe I was coming down with something, but maybe it's a symptom

LO (6 mths old) usually feeds every 1-2 hours all night, and sleep nurses from 5-7am. Last night slept 5 straight hours from 2-7am so breasts didn't get emptied and I slept too and woke up sore! Very painful now, trying cabbage leaf - any other suggestions? tia
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Default Re: mastitis?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*purple.monkey View Post
    My left breast is swollen, very sore and there are red areas and streaks. Doesn't seem to be a plug, so I was wondering about mastitis. I feel kind of generally yucky today, thought maybe I was coming down with something, but maybe it's a symptom

LO (6 mths old) usually feeds every 1-2 hours all night, and sleep nurses from 5-7am. Last night slept 5 straight hours from 2-7am so breasts didn't get emptied and I slept too and woke up sore! Very painful now, trying cabbage leaf - any other suggestions? tia
    mama. I've never had mastitis but I've heard it will make you feel yucky, like with cold/flu symtpoms plus with the redness and streaking? *I'd* call your doc for an appointment just to be safe. feel better mama.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Definitely sounds like mastitis to me. Call your doc or midwife and ask for a prescription for antibiotics. And check out the breastfeeding management tips here. Hope this passes quickly!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have had mastitis twice and it sounds like you could easily be going down that road..

I felt horrible both times...like you have been beaten and stuffed in a closet...(not that I ever have, mind you.)

I ran a fever both times, as well as achiness all over. Definitely call you dr. or midwife and ask them what they think. Also, nurse, nurse, nurse. They say to treat mastitis like the flu...go to bed with your baby and nurse...and don't do anything else. If you have mastitis...you will probably know it.

Good luck!!
    -Andrea

EP for my surroguy since 7/16/2009

Hopefully you're still in the early stages and can catch it before it runs rampant. I had a run in with it a week ago and I just nursed, nursed, nursed. I took a hot bath and massaged it, nursed while on all fours above DD (looked funny, but I read it somewhere...) and took it easy. The red/streaking lasted about four days but I really started feeling better by the end of the third day. I know I was really lucky.

So sorry you're going through this. It's not fun and so painful!
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

Thanks for all the advice - I'm very happy to say I beat it before it got really bad. Used cabbage leaves, nursed a lot starting on the sore side each time, nursed in different positions including on all fours over baby, massaged, took hot showers, and DH (bless him) took over everything else.

Yay for cabbage leaves and supportive husbands!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009