Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get LO to nap w/out bf?

Default How can I get LO to nap w/out bf?

Don't know where else to post this, but I really need help! LO will ONLY nap if I nurse her to sleep and then she sleeps while she nurses and as soon as I take her off, she is awake and ready to play again. I've switched from almost excl pumping to almost excl nursing in the past few weeks, so things are done a little differently now and I love being able to nurse her, but I haven't had 1 second to myself. She used to eat, play, and then sleep, but now...this is her schedule for the last few days: she nurses for almost an hour, then I take her off and play until she shows signs of tiredness, quickly change her diaper and try to get her to sleep (usually it's been less than an hour since she finished nursing). But she SCREAMS like crazy every time I try to put her down and sometimes I try forever, but then just give in and nurse her again. And then the cycle repeats. She ONLY likes to be held facing out and only if we are standing, so it makes it really difficult to put her to sleep anyway in that position. She used to get a good nap in the morning in her swing, but she won't even do that now. The whole week she's only slept while nursing! Oh, except at night she sleeps well (thank goodness!). Honestly I have a million things to do and I haven't been able to do anything but feed her! She only plays by herself for a few minutes, so my only time to myself is when she sleeps!

LO is a little over 3 months and I don't think this is just a growth spurt that she will get over. I'm thinking I'm training her to only go to sleep if she is nursed to sleep and I don't want to do that. But I also can't bear to have her scream every time! It makes me feel like I don't even know how to take care of her.

Default Re: How can I get LO to nap w/out bf?

So sorry you're having trouble! At the same time, gratz on getting baby back at the breast!
    You've said it yourself, now things are different. She discovered the joy and safety of the breast and she won't let go that easily. I can't offer you any real advice, other than enjoy this... if you can! Try to wear her, so you can nurse while standing up, and nevermind the housework. Trust me, I'm kinda OCD about cleanliness, but since I had K, I clean when I can, if not, I just don't. At least, DH tries to not leave a mess, which makes things easier
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Oh mama, I'm going through the exact thing with my 5 month old I know it's very frustrating and exhausting . Do you have a sling? We love ours! I'll put her in the sling, facing out, while doing stuff around the house, vacuuming (she loves that), walk around talking to her, reading out loud to her and before I know it, she's out. She'll fall asleep at the breast too! I ties you down ALL day. I wait a while after she eats (if not she'll spit up), then put her in her sling.

It could be a growth spurt, because when they go through one they are very "needy/clingy" and want to be at the breast 24/7 for comfort, I guess Or she could be working on a developmental milestone (rolling over).

Just remember, "it won't be like this for long!" (that's a country song by Darius Rucker )
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

good job for gettin your LO to the breast!
    and now..I don't want to say it's going to be the same for you but my LO is 5 mos and still naps just if I nurse him.
    luckily he loves to nurse in the sling so I do everything (well...nearly everithing)wearing DS!!
    It's not so bad after you get used to...I did gardening as well yesterday!
    and even now he's there...nearly asleep

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bw52 View Post
    She ONLY likes to be held facing out and only if we are standing, so it makes it really difficult to put her to sleep anyway in that position.
    There are a few carriers that allow you to put the baby in a position where he's facing outward. My friend had a Baby Bjorn (although this one seems to get a lot of negative reviews) and I remember her putting her baby to sleep with him facing out in it. I have another friend who loves her Patapum carrier, and this one can do the front-facing position, too. The thing with carriers, though, is that every baby has a different preference (mine hated the sling!), so if you can go to a store or a class that allows you to try different carriers with your LO, that's the best option.

Good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*sobamom; October 28th, 2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Originally wrote "seminar," which wasn't quite right.

Thanks for the responses. But how can I nurse while walking around and doing stuff? I think I must not be as talented as you. LO pulls and kind of tugs as she nurses, so I have to keep a pretty tight hold on her so she doesn't hurt me too much. That's why I was excl pumping in the first place--b/c it would kill me anytime I would nurse her. Now, it's not nearly as painful, but if she tugs and chomps down on tip, it kills me again. I can hardly even read a book, b/c I'm scared she's going to do this when I go to turn a page! Sad, I know, but this really is a HUGE improvement! Any thoughts as to why she does this? I'm assuming it must not be normal.

And we tried on a few front facing carriers last weekend, but they only had the Bjorn and the Snugli (is that what it's called?) where we were. And she certainly couldn't nurse in one of those.

And I guess if your LO are nursing all the time at 5 months, then it's not just something she'll grow out of soon--which I was kind of hoping. I love that she loves to nurse. I guess I just need to figure out how to do it on the go.

There are quite a few carriers that would hold her very snug to your body fully supported the same way most nursing holds do. The Mya wrap is one and a ring sling is another.

I also recommend the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution.". It has techniques in it to deal with your exact situation. I wish I would have read it when DD was younger seeing as I haven't slept more then 3 hours at a time in over a year.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Can you keep a journal of your baby's actual sleep? If she's sleeping at night a good bit, then you probably shouldn't expect the same level of napping during the day.

Sounds normal though. And I think for the most part, a lot of us just gave up completely on the idea of doing anything but taking care of baby and ourselves as best we could for the first 6 months or so. This is a crucial time for her needs to be met 100%, the house can be taken care of later along with all the other little things, KWIM? Baby carrying does help tremendously, my DD lived in a Moby wrap for her first year.

It will get easier.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

If you go to www.wrapyourbaby.com/frontwrapcrosscarry.htm you'll find how to wrap your LO in a way that is perfect for nursing a fussy baby.
    you'll need to practice a bit but you'll work it out!
    Last edited by @llli*elimaka; October 29th, 2009 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    Sounds normal though. And I think for the most part, a lot of us just gave up completely on the idea of doing anything but taking care of baby and ourselves as best we could for the first 6 months or so. This is a crucial time for her needs to be met 100%, the house can be taken care of later along with all the other little things, KWIM? Baby carrying does help tremendously, my DD lived in a Moby wrap for her first year.

I still actually have to nurse my DD to get her to have a nap, and she's 15 months old. It will get to the point where you can actually put them down though, so you won't mind the nursing to sleep bit so much. The constant need for mommy really won't last forever, the little baby phase goes sooo fast! I definitely second (third, fourth, what ever!) the recommendation for a good wrap or sling. Once you get the hang of it you totally can nurse hands-free, and it's a definite sanity saver at times. Baby nursing and you need to go to the bathroom/eat lunch/put some clothes in the washing machine? No more being stuck on the couch, you can just do it!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010