Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeding an enthusiastic solids eater

Default Re: Feeding an enthusiastic solids eater

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Both of my kids dropped in percentiles for weight over their first 12-18 months, but then stayed on THOSE lines steadily. In my family, we are all quite lean, even though we don't start out that way. I would argue that if she is healthy and active, and looks proportionate, not to worry about what her percentile lines are doing.

ETA: I just looked at their baby books. In the first 24 months, my daughter went from 75% to 25%, and in the first 18 months, my son went from 98% to 25%. Look at the kid, not the chart.
    Thank you for the reassurances, Duckpond. I guess it's just so hard *not* to worry when the doctor is telling you that she's worried! I just keep telling myself that DD looks healthy and alert.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sobamom View Post
    Thank you for the reassurances, Duckpond. I guess it's just so hard *not* to worry when the doctor is telling you that she's worried! I just keep telling myself that DD looks healthy and alert.
    I was always worried with my first. By the time my second came around, I had learned to trust kids to know what they need in terms of food. For the most part, anyway. I figure they'll eat if they're hungry and stop when they're full.

You can tell if she's happy and healthy. You know her. And she'll tell you what she needs. Just keep listening to her.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

DD is about the same age and very into solids. I have been feeding her 3 meals and a couple of snacks a day for the past few months. She demands food when she sees someone else eating and we are a family of grazers, so that is often. DS was not like this at all, but DD is different. You mention the hassle...are you feeding her what you are eating or preparing separate meals? DD eats veggies and fruit cut up small, bread, pasta, cereal, cheese, yogurt, meat cut finely, etc. and aside from yogurt, she self feeds off her tray. She nurses a couple of times at night and probably 6-8 times during the day. In total, she probably eats a half cup of food a day. At this age, DS ate probably a couple of tablespoons. Just from the perspective of following your baby's lead, if she wants to eat more, you might consider picking things up.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.