Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding an enthusiastic solids eater

Default Feeding an enthusiastic solids eater

I tried to search the forum first for an answer, but most people with a one-year-old seem to be dealing with a baby who doesn't like solids. DD is the opposite: She loves food and can't seem to get enough.

So here's the rundown: DD finishes everything I put in front of her and always seems like she would eat more, if I gave her more. However, I'd like to continue breastfeeding, and because it takes *so* long for DD to eat and then be cleaned up after each meal, I've only been offering two meals a day.

The big concern though is that since her six month check-up, she's gradually dropped from 50th percentile in weight to 10th, and the doctor says that if she hasn't gained weight by the next visit, it's a problem. She hasn't gained weight according to my scale (though my arm muscles wouldn't agree).

I've been offering more breastfeeds a day, of course (every two hours). But the indisputable fact is that she seems to want more solids. Could this be her body telling me that it *needs* more? I mean, she is almost one.

What should I do? And how much should I give her? I've read that she should eat about 1 ounce of food per meal--is that right? She's definitely eating more than that. Is that okay?

Please help! I'm so worried about her weight. Every time I look at the scale and it shows the same darn number, I get so upset.

Default Re: Feeding an enthusiastic solids eater

Has she been losing weight or just going down in percentiles? Some kids just thin out once they become mobile. I really don't like looking at it in terms of percentiles. My dd isn't even on the charts as far as percentiles go but she is perfectly healthy.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

What I read is that it doesn't matter where your baby is on the charts, or even if they're not on the charts at all. But the important thing is that their growth is consistent with their size.

Also, DD isn't even walking yet, so I can't say she's extremely active and thus burning lots of calories.

is she getting were she wants to go? IF so then she is burning calories thats for sure.

As long as she is having nice clear pees
    and good looking poops not constipated or loose
    Your doing a great job...

her tummy is about the size of her hand... more food the that is going to make for an unhappy baby.

Both of my kids dropped in percentiles for weight over their first 12-18 months, but then stayed on THOSE lines steadily. In my family, we are all quite lean, even though we don't start out that way. I would argue that if she is healthy and active, and looks proportionate, not to worry about what her percentile lines are doing.

ETA: I just looked at their baby books. In the first 24 months, my daughter went from 75% to 25%, and in the first 18 months, my son went from 98% to 25%. Look at the kid, not the chart.
    Last edited by @llli*duckpond; October 28th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

So I shouldn't try to feed her three meals plus two snacks (this is what all my friends with babies around the same age are doing)?

Also, was I right about the 1 ounce of food per meal?

Are you planning to wean at a year? I think the three meals plus two snacks is if you are planning on weaning at a year.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

From Kellymom

We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby's diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Are you planning to wean at a year? I think the three meals plus two snacks is if you are planning on weaning at a year.
    Aahhhhh, I'm such a dummy. I've been feeling like the worst mom because I'm the only one amongst my friends not feeding three meals, etc. But I guess this makes sense since I'm the only one planning to continue breastfeeding!

Oh my goodness, I guess I might be feeding *too* much solid food to DD!

But in that case--though perhaps this should be a new thread--could anyone share how many meals they fed/are feeding their 1-year-old LO, if they were/are still mostly breastfeeding? And perhaps give one example of how much food they offered for a meal?

Since I don't pump, I never know how much DD is drinking, so it's hard to regulate the proportion of breastmilk to solids intake.

Thank you so much, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    her tummy is about the size of her hand... more food the that is going to make for an unhappy baby.
    You know, you would think that. I know I did the first time she seemed to want more food and I added *just one more* (and then another) little bite to her plate. But she never seems to have tummy troubles after. I don't mean to alarm anyone though--I'm not giving her huge portions, but sometimes the amount she's able to put away seems large for a little baby.