Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal

Default Re: Oatmeal

Not trying to start anything at all with this question, but denaturing the proteins in milk by cooking it (such as in order to make oatmeal) would make it ok, wouldn't it? Or no? Does anyone know, like one of you awesome bio-science types?

Quote Originally Posted by Evin
    Not trying to start anything at all with this question, but denaturing the proteins in milk by cooking it (such as in order to make oatmeal) would make it ok, wouldn't it? Or no? Does anyone know, like one of you awesome bio-science types?
    I'd be interested to hear the answer to that ... good question ... Linda??? Are you there??

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Back on the original question, my doc just recommended the baby oatmeal to DS today at his 6 month check up. She obviously considers it a first food.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazygozo
    Back on the original question, my doc just recommended the baby oatmeal to DS today at his 6 month check up. She obviously considers it a first food.
    I think when mixed with water or, even better, breast milk, oatmeal is can be a great first food if you aren't choosing to do a more baby-led approach to solids. LLL states: "If you use cereals, make sure that they only have one ingredient and use either water or your own milk for mixing."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Heating denatures all proteins, so in using milk for cooking, if it is heated, the proteins will be broken down.

As for formula, I believe (and I am still looking for the literature, so I will hopefully be able to back this scientifically, or maybe Linda will chime in) that in the processs of creating , many of the proteins are denatured. Therefore, the reaction of gastrointestinal bleeding will not occur with formula as it does with uncooked milk.

I hope to find more info, so hang on!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Regarding oatmeal I posted similar question sometime back and this is the response I got
    http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=7300

Thanks
    Mangai

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown
    Heating denatures all proteins, so in using milk for cooking, if it is heated, the proteins will be broken down.

As for formula, I believe (and I am still looking for the literature, so I will hopefully be able to back this scientifically, or maybe Linda will chime in) that in the processs of creating , many of the proteins are denatured. Therefore, the reaction of gastrointestinal bleeding will not occur with formula as it does with uncooked milk.

I hope to find more info, so hang on!
    Okay, bear with me here cause when it comes to bioscience I'm as dumb as a post! So, if the milk proteins are denatured upon heating ... and they are what cause a sensitivity or allergy to cow's milk ... how come the lattes I used to drink were making Adeline so sick (green with blood in stool, eczema, vomiting, etc)? They were definitely heated ... Those were the last thing to go that was dairy from my diet ... it was the ONLY cow's milk source she was getting, and when I stopped her symptoms cleared in about 4 days.

When you froth the milk for a latte or capp, the milk doesn't reach a boiling point through and through. I think the proteins are only denatured when they reach 212 (or whatever the exact temp for milk boiling is - 212 is for water). When milk reaches this point, the proteins become solid.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: My statements are based on culinary training and years as a barrista in the 80s and not on any bio-sci expertise. It is probably full of holes, so I'll be happy to have someone (Linda!) chime in on this more
    Last edited by @llli*evin; September 21st, 2006 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evin
    When you froth the milk for a latte or capp, the milk doesn't reach a boiling point through and through. I think the proteins are only denatured when they reach 212 (or whatever the exact temp for milk boiling is - 212 is for water). When milk reaches this point, the proteins become solid.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: My statements are based on culinary training and years as a barrista in the 80s and not on any bio-sci expertise. It is probably full of holes, so I'll be happy to have someone (Linda!) chime in on this more
    Okay, so that would mean that a normal preparation of oatmeal with milk wouldn't break down the milk proteins then. Right? Somebody direct Linda here!

Isn't milk heated during the homogenizing and pasteurizing processes?

I like to make my own oatmeal with apple juice and then add cinnamon.