Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oatmeal

Default Re: Oatmeal

Pasteurizing only heats to something like 160 to kill the bad bacteria. "Cold pasteurization" or irradiation is done with microwaves, so that doesn't denature the proteins, either. Homogenizing doesn't involve heat, but rather breaking down the fats into teeny tiny little bits so that they can't get back together again and remain suspended in the rest of the milk.

Totally off topic: If you take milk and boil it then strain it, it is a wonderful, mild creamy cheese. Very delicious. It can be flavored sweet or savory. Try it!
    Last edited by @llli*evin; September 22nd, 2006 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon
    Okay, so that would mean that a normal preparation of oatmeal with milk wouldn't break down the milk proteins then. Right? Somebody direct Linda here!

Hm, yeah, i guess so. I haven't made oatmeal - esp with milk - in ages & didn't remember if the milk was brought to a low boil or not. With water don't you let it boil? I dunno.

So if the milk was boiled 1st it would be ok?

I think that's the $60,000 question. We're all kinda waiting to see if someone with more definitive knowledge on infant nutrition can chime in.