Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal

Default Oatmeal

Anybody have any idea why oatmeal isn't included in the first foods for little ones? I notice that askdrsears.com lists it quite a bit later than I thought it would have been. It makes sense that rice is really easy to digest, but I thought oatmeal would be pretty easy too, and I know you could get it to the right consistency...

Anyway, let me know if anybody has heard of an actual reason or allergy concern. If not, my little one will try some pretty soon.

thanks

Default Re: Oatmeal

I don't know why it's not a first food. We did it soon after making homemade brown rice. She actually likes the oatmeal a little better. I always thought because of the taste. they say rice ceral is milder for them. I never did the baby rice cereal so I don't know. The brown rice was good for her too.

My understanding is that oatmeal tends to contribute to constipation more so than other grains.

I actually feed my son Farina, he hates the baby cereals.

I have actually seen it listed as a first food in at least 2 or 3 different places. You can use baby oatmeal or "real" oatmeal, just be sure to leave out any sugar, salt, cow's milk, etc. It does have a slightly higher risk of allergy than rice, but it is actually a lot LESS constipating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy
    In the UK they recommond serviing it with milk and not water so that it's more nutrious, some mums find it easier to "hide" milk as childern get older as some don't like it much
    Yes, but babies under 12 mo should not be getting any cow's milk; only breastmilk or iron foritfied infant formula.

milk can be used for cooking but not as a main drink till 1 year old, due to cows milk not having enough vits and fat.
    That is true about vitamins and fat, etc, but that is not the only reason cow's milk is not recomended until 12 mo; the protiens are very difficult to digest and can cause bleeding in baby's intestines if baby's digestive tract is not mature enough. I am merely stating what the recomendations are in Canada and the US. Recomendations may be different in other countires. Cow's milk also carries a very high risk of alergic reaction.

You certainly are entitled to your oppinion on oatmeal's taste. Others are entitled to different oppinions, of course. My husband, for example thinks I am very weird for even putting a dribble of milk on my oatmeal; he just eats it plain with no milk or anything which I personally find too dry.

Since solids during the first year are mostly for fun and learning, I never much worried about them. My son was still nursing about 8-10 times a day by the time he was 12 mo and was extremely healthy and growing well, so I knew he was getting everything he needed.

For the record, my mom said she breastfed me for 6 months, then gave me cow's milk (no formula.) I never had a problem. I think it might be tough for allergy prone people though.

Hopefully though no one is scared too much by your comments
    Good greif, if someone is scared by my "comments" then I hope they never read what the AAP says about cow's milk before 12 mo, since they may really be scared then.

Yes, many babies (including one of my brothers) recieved and still recieve cow's milk before 12 mo. And yes, most of them appear to be completely fine and never seem to have any ill effects. That does not mean the risks do not exist. When my brother was a baby, the Dr told my mom it was fine to give cow's milk after 6 mo and she needn't bother with formula. Well, the recomendations have clearly changed on this as well as so many other things.

Here is what Dr Jim Sears says about giving cow's milk to a baby under 12 mo:
    http://askdrsears.com/faq/fit23.asp
    if you give an infant under a year cow’s milk, the infant can develop microscopic gastrointestinal bleeding (you don’t see it in the diaper), and this can lead to anemia and other problems. Yogurt does not cause this same reaction. Now: WHY does this happen? It seems to be the milk proteins that are responsible for this mild allergic reaction. In yogurt or infant formulas, the milk proteins are “de-natured” by heat in such a way that this allergic reaction does not happen.
    emphasis mine
    Last edited by Feorsteorra; September 20th, 2006 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    Good greif, if someone is scared by my "comments" then I hope they never read what the AAP says about cow's milk before 12 mo, since they may really be scared then.

Yes, many babies (including one of my brothers) recieved and still recieve cow's milk before 12 mo. And yes, most of them appear to be completely fine and never seem to have any ill effects. That does not mean the risks do not exist. When my brother was a baby, the Dr told my mom it was fine to give cow's milk after 6 mo and she needn't bother with formula. Well, the recomendations have clearly changed on this as well as so many other things.

Here is what Dr Jim Sears says about giving cow's milk to a baby under 12 mo:
    http://askdrsears.com/faq/fit23.asp
    emphasis mine
    I just want to chime in here ... I totally agree with what Feorsteorra has stated so well. Just because ALL babies who were given milk before the recommended 12 months aren't being negatively affected by it, doesn't mean that the risk is not there and that inevitably some babies will have an adverse reaction. And with many foods, dairy especially, the earlier you introduce it into their diet, the more likely they are to be allergic to it later on in life. Why risk it when your baby's health is concerned?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon