Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is Going On???

Unhappy What is Going On???

I can't seem to pump worth a fart anymore.

I got 6 ounces this morning, but less than two just now!! I didn't even feel a letdown.

Anyone want to help me trouble shoot???

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Default Re: What is Going On???

Mama....you got 6 ounces this morning????? You only got 2 now cause you drained yourself!

You're thinking about it too much. Think about the girls. Think about princess dresses and Lu's chunky thighs. Think about their sweet smell or the first time Lu will say mama....you'll get a letdown.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Mama....you got 6 ounces this morning????? You only got 2 now cause you drained yourself!

You're thinking about it too much. Think about the girls. Think about princess dresses and Lu's chunky thighs. Think about their sweet smell or the first time Lu will say mama....you'll get a letdown.
    Should I go try again or wait a little bit?

I normally get 5-6ounces per session. Lately it's been 5-6 the first session, then 4-5 the second one and finally 3-4 the last. I just don't know what's going on.

"Don't toush da mango"

No, I would wait a bit. If you just pumped I would wait the three hours (or however long you are going in between)

And you know just as well as anyone that 5-6oz is MASSIVE. But I know how you feel when you pump that much and then you want to pump that much every time. Just relax, don't think about it for the next couple hours, then when you DO pump do all the visualization. Look at pics. Watch any videos that you may have.

And for future pump sessions, I always brought clothes. Like the jammies that he wore the night before. And I would just sit there and smell them. It works.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

5-6 oz is amazing! I noticed a major drop off at about 9 months so you are almost at that spot too. I don't know if it's hormonal or what. I just couldn't take anything for granted anymore, meaning I had to drink huge amounts of water, eat oatmeal, Mothers Milk tea etc to keep up for a few months. I also read some of the stories on the LLL website (I think they are New Beginnings articles) that were especially heartfelt.

Even when you have this drop in production; is your daily total keeping up with L? It seems like it would be fine if you look at the day as opposed to the session.

with Hillary.

Something else to consider - could your shield size have changed? As time went on, my shield size got smaller. I had oversupply which oversized the ladies and then at maybe 6 months or so I finally evened out.

Also, she's not drinking 18 ounces a day is she? If I pump three times a day I get the most in the morning and then a few ounces less the next time and so on.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks Hill.

It's been 3 hours (that's about as long as I usually go). I'll try again at 1 or 1:15.

It is a massive amount but that is what she drinks. Not in three sittings but she's a snacker so... My freezer stash is almost gone because this has been going on sporadically.

ETA: Tracie and Jenna thanks. Daily output is normally 15-18 ounces.
    Last edited by @llli*mothersky; October 28th, 2009 at 11:00 AM.

"Don't toush da mango"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    Thanks Hill.

It's been 3 hours (that's about as long as I usually go). I'll try again at 1 or 1:15.

It is a massive amount but that is what she drinks (3 bottles a day). Not in three sittings but she's a snacker so... My freezer stash is almost gone because this has been going on sporadically.
    Just saw this. Still no reason to freak out, this has happened to me. Have you checked your pump parts, membranes, etc? Also, can you call and check on her right before you pump? Maybe hearing her will help you.

Once Lilah was sick and didn't nurse very well for several days and then when I went back to work I couldn't pump as much as before. I freaked out. I ended up pumping every 2 hours at work for a couple days to get it back up again.

Can you try a smaller shield? I know I already said that, but it may be a culprit.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    ETA: Tracie and Jenna thanks. Daily output is normally 15-18 ounces.
    I'm jealous of that amount.

My supply dropped off at about 9 months too, like Jenna mentioned.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Can you try a smaller shield? I know I already said that, but it may be a culprit.
    It's 21mm (got tiny nips.)

She's been teething too so if anything I expect a little oversupply, but...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    I'm jealous of that amount.
    It was like that with K too. Those two lil chunkers love mommy milk.

AF came back early with K but I would only notice a dip before she showed up.

I'm not even sure if she's back yet. I've had a couple of screwy periods, so I can't even say that's the issue.

I'm trying not to Sorry ladies.

"Don't toush da mango"