Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting over!!!!! HELP

Default Starting over!!!!! HELP

I was exclusivly pumping since my son was born on 9/10/09.....and had been getting a good supply to use in bottles. My supply started to go down but I thought it was normal b/c I wasn't engorged anymore. I then realized that I wasn't making enough for a full days feeding so I started supp. w/ formula. Long story short I was practically not getting much...so I stopped pumping. Its been 2 weeks now since I've pumped and I feel horrible. Is there a way for me to start over and get my milk back???? I am back at work now so I dont know what to do. I can express alittle milk when I squeeze my nipple...so I know there's some there.

PLEASE HELP

Default Re: Starting over!!!!! HELP

Hi there. I think you need to start pumping and pump a lot. Is there a reason you didn't want to nurse? I don't really have advice, hopefully someone with more info will come along. Here are some links - have you seen these?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p....html#increase

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/rel...resources.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tracie

Mommy to

You can definitely get your supply going again. Here's what I'd do:
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Hands-on help makes an incredible difference! The LC can help you get any gear you may need, and may even be able to help you get your baby breastfeeding straight from the tap.
    - Pump as frequently as possible, using the best possible pump. Many moms have the best results with a hospital-grade rental pump. When I had supply issues, my LC had me pump for 10 minutes per side every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, and I saw good results very quickly.
    - Try power pumping: pump both sides for 10 minutes, then rest for 10 minutes, pump both sides for 10 minutes, rest for 10 minutes, and finally pump both sides once more for 10 minutes, for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in an one-hour period. Power pumping is supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds and boosts mom's supply during a growth spurt.
    - Herbs: fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal are all good for supply. Your LC can help you with dosages.
    - Drugs: Reglan (available in the US) and Domperidone (Canada and the UK) are anti-nausea drugs which can increase supply as a side-effect. Both have additional side-effects and are not right for every mom, so consult your midwife or OB before taking either one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

HE LATCHED ON!!!!!!!! AND NURSED EACH SIDE FOR 10 MIN I know he wasnt getting much obviously but isnt that the best way to re-gain my supply. I have the medela freestyle double pump.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*prettyblues0910 View Post
    HE LATCHED ON!!!!!!!! AND NURSED EACH SIDE FOR 10 MIN I know he wasnt getting much obviously but isnt that the best way to re-gain my supply. I have the medela freestyle double pump.
    Yes, absolutely- as long as the baby is nursing effectively and frequently. Combine nursing with lots of pumping, and you should be there in no time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good for you!
    Tracie

Mommy to