Re: Starting over!!!!! HELP
You can definitely get your supply going again. Here's what I'd do:
- See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Hands-on help makes an incredible difference! The LC can help you get any gear you may need, and may even be able to help you get your baby breastfeeding straight from the tap.
- Pump as frequently as possible, using the best possible pump. Many moms have the best results with a hospital-grade rental pump. When I had supply issues, my LC had me pump for 10 minutes per side every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, and I saw good results very quickly.
- Try power pumping: pump both sides for 10 minutes, then rest for 10 minutes, pump both sides for 10 minutes, rest for 10 minutes, and finally pump both sides once more for 10 minutes, for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in an one-hour period. Power pumping is supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds and boosts mom's supply during a growth spurt.
- Herbs: fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal are all good for supply. Your LC can help you with dosages.
- Drugs: Reglan (available in the US) and Domperidone (Canada and the UK) are anti-nausea drugs which can increase supply as a side-effect. Both have additional side-effects and are not right for every mom, so consult your midwife or OB before taking either one.
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"