Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long for adding formula

Default How long for adding formula

We had our twins at 34 weeks, a month ago. They spent 9 and 12 days in the NICU. I have been EPing since they were born. They are getting all BM with 1 tsp of Similac Neosure per 130ml.

Our Pedi is useless. She did not tell me anything about how long they will need the extra calories. They each gained 1 pound from week 2 to 3, and now we do not go back till November 30th.

I have been trying to get them to nurse, but even with the nipple shield they are lazy. They just fall asleep as soon as I get them latched on. DD3 is tongue tied, so she is VERY hard to latch. I keep trying though!

My question is.... how long will they need to be on the added formula.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Default Re: How long for adding formula

Hi mama! Congrats on your babies!

I think this answer is hard one, because it varies depending on your doc. We never did anything added to our son's expressed milk. Have you tried talking to one of the neonatologists from the NICU?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post

I think this answer is hard one, because it varies depending on your doc. We never did anything added to our son's expressed milk. Have you tried talking to one of the neonatologists from the NICU?
    They told us that once we saw our Pedi that we were done with them. They also told us that it depends on how they gained, so I can understand having to wait and see.

I just hate having to #1 spend the money and #2 not be able to nurse because they need the extra calories.
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)

What were their weights at birth?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My son was getting expressed breastmilk with human milk fortifier added to it while he was in the NICU. A few weeks before he was discharged, the neonatologist said at least half of his feedings would need the fortifier added once he was home. But when he was discharged he said we didn't have to add any. He was gaining weight fine so it was all good.

There has been some discussion of this topic on a preemie forum I go to - you could always go on there and post (http://www.preemie-l.org/).

In my non-medical opinion, if I were in a situation where I was told to add foritifier/formula to my breastmilk, I would probably look at my baby's weight gain from birth and maybe fortify half their feedings and see how the weight gain goes. I believe breastfed babies should gain 4-8oz per week, ideally, when they are young. If all went well, then I'd fortify maybe 1/4 the feedings and then none and see how the baby's weight was.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

What were their weights at birth?
    Samantha was 4lbs 8oz and then at 3 weeks was 5lbs 10oz

Jillian was 4lbs 10oz and then at 3 weeks was 5lbs 8oz

How much on average should they be getting at a feeding. They go 3 hours during the day and 4-5 at night. We have them at 90ml now with Sam taking it all and Jilly taking at least 70. How does this average for their age (1 month)
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladybug6 View Post
    Samantha was 4lbs 8oz and then at 3 weeks was 5lbs 10oz

Jillian was 4lbs 10oz and then at 3 weeks was 5lbs 8oz

How much on average should they be getting at a feeding. They go 3 hours during the day and 4-5 at night. We have them at 90ml now with Sam taking it all and Jilly taking at least 70. How does this average for their age (1 month)
    Check out the link below, there's a calculator where you can enter in number of feedings per day and get ranges for how much the baby should take at each feeding. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months