Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump decisions

Default Pump decisions

PLEASE HELP!!!! I am a first time mommy to be who wants to be a breast feeding mom but am also in a career.

I am researching pumps and don't have a clue of what to go with! I have plenty of time (23 more weeks) but am trying to get my ducks in a row before time slips away.

I am not fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom although I would love to be!

My mom is going to babysit and lives 15 minutes from work, so I will be able to nurse through the night, Nurse in the morning (will have to leave the house by 715-730), nurse at moms before work (around 8-830), nurse at lunch (around 1-2), nurse after work (depending on the day either 5-6 or 7-8). When should I pump in between?

WHAT KIND OF PUMP should I look in to getting?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Default Re: Pump decisions

You should get an electric double pump. A lot of ladies around here use the Medela Pump In Style, or Pump in Style Advanced, which are personal use items. There is also the new Freestyle, which seems really neat and is hands free and tiny. Sixyearplan has a website for where she got hers that has good deals. Perhaps she will come along and link it up.

There are also other brands of pumps that other folks like, Lansinoh & Avent both make them, I think.

Another option is renting a hospital grade pump. In my town you can rent them from BabiesRUs and from a local midwife. I believe that it runs about $20-$50 a month depending on where you live, etc. Do you work at a large corporation? Have you checked into what options there are at work? My company actually has a pump loan program where you can check out a hospital grade pump - although it is first come, first served.

Regarding the personal use pumps that I talked about above. Some people buy them used on craigslist, ebay, get them from a friend, etc. That is a personal decision - there is a small risk that some milk from the previous user could get into the system and then into the milk you pump for your baby. I chose to purchase a brand new pump, which was approx. $250, but I figured that would be the same cost a 3 months of formula - so after the first three months I would be saving money. Not that I ever wanted to use formula - just an argument for my husband if he chose to question my decision to buy a pump.

With your work schedule, I would porbably pump at 10 AM and 3 or 4 PM. I don't think your baby would need more bottles than that if you're going to nurse at lunch time. You may want to add another pumping session on a day if you're going to be at work longer.

Congratulations on your new baby! Is it 23 weeks until your baby is born, or 23 weeks until you have to go back to work?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the advice...23 weeks left in pregnancy. It is exciting and SCAREY all at the same time...still somehow doesnt feel "real" yet. Guess that will change once I finally feel he/she move.

I am a veterinarian for a small 2 doctor practice. I had looked for pumps on c-list and e-bay but thought it could be risky and what if i got one and it broke...no warrenty. So I had decided to purchase new, thought that would be cheaper then renting.

One of my fears is not producing enough and having to supplement, i really DO NOT want to use formula. I know so many women who have had huge decreases in production once they return to work, which my husband doesnt get. He is all for feeding and against formula, but he thinks the amount of milk you produce directly correlates to your breast size.... Then there is my sister-in-law...produced WAY to much and had to pump just for relief!!! She was very frustrated to learn AFTER she finished feeding that there were places to bank milk so that moms who wanted to feed but couldnt could get breast milk!

It is scary but it is fun too!

You should be able to produce the milk your baby needs while you are away. It is very rare that women can't, however some have a hard time pumping. You are doing the right thing by getting started thinking about these things before your baby comes - and this forum is a great place to get info.

Have you started talking about pumping at your workplace? Have you thought about where you will be able to pump? Maybe you can do it while you make your patient phone calls and not cut too much into break times?
    Tracie

Mommy to

yes, my boss thinks it is gross and that breast milk is no better than formula but she doesnt per say care about it one way or another as long as it is not her doing the breast feeding. My boss is the kid who went back to work 4 weeks after her daughter and 2 days after her son was born

I can pump in the bathroom, unused exam room, radiology room etc. I share my office with the break room, but could always use a nursing cover to cover up while pumping if I did it there. Luckily I usually have down time through out the day so it should not be too disruptive and if I have to I will just schedule time into my appointment schedules.

How long does pumping generally take?
    I am Heather

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]Proud Mommy to Skyler Ayden, a beautiful baby girl born March 18, 2010.

I am and and CD love that little

Married to Shane May 19, 2001, my bestfriend, even though I am with him, he often makes me want to

Smile Re: Pump decisions

I use the lansinoh pump, it was recommended by the lactation consultants at the hospital. The hospital where I delivered and work uses ameda pumps in the lactation room for nursing mommies. The lc told me that the lansinoh pump is actually an ameda pump with the lansinoh label. I really like it and it was much cheaper than the medella and ameda pumps. The only difference was that it didn't some with a tote bag, and freezer packs, which you can get anywhere. In fact the hospital gave me a tote bag and freezer packs as a free gift they give to all new mom's who deliver there. The free gift bag also came with formula but I just put that aside in case I were to be sick or something and needed it. Hopefully I never will have to use the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babyduck View Post
    yes, my boss thinks it is gross and that breast milk is no better than formula but she doesnt per say care about it one way or another as long as it is not her doing the breast feeding. My boss is the kid who went back to work 4 weeks after her daughter and 2 days after her son was born
    Lame.

I can pump in the bathroom, unused exam room, radiology room etc. I share my office with the break room, but could always use a nursing cover to cover up while pumping if I did it there. Luckily I usually have down time through out the day so it should not be too disruptive and if I have to I will just schedule time into my appointment schedules.
    I'm glad it is so flexible. I have a friend that is a vet at a large practice and it is not so easy for her to pump. Don't use the bathroom unless you have to. Yuck. You wouldn't want to make your lunch in there right?

How long does pumping generally take?
    I think it's different for everyone. For me I pumped about 20 minutes 3 times a day until about a month ago. Then I decreased it to 2 times and now I am down to one time. Some people can do it faster. It really varies.

Funny about your husband and the milk storage thing. One thing you may want to be prepared for is that not every woman fits the shields that come with the pump - so you may have to buy different sizes. I saw that sixyearplan did give you that link to the place that she bought her pump in your other thread, so definitely give them a call!
    Tracie

Mommy to

My schedule was similar to yours being that I was also able to go home for lunch. You will really enjoy that!

Here was our typical day:
    7:30 Nurse
    8:00 work
    10:15 Pump for about 20 min., baby got 4oz bottle
    12:15 Nurse
    3pm Pump for about 20 min, baby got 4oz bottle (usually a little earlier)
    5:15 Nurse

HTH you got lots of great advice!

Oh and I used the medela PISA. Don't bother buying an extra set of parts - just throw them in the cooler and reuse the same ones each time you pump and wash when you go home. Cuts down on a lot of washing - wish I would have realized that sooner
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I have a Medela Freestyle. It's pricey but by far the smallest pump around. You can clip it in your belt and pump hands free while cooking dinner. You can plug it in or unplug and use the rechargeable battery. The best deal is through www.bestbuybaby.com. I got line for the same price as a PISA in the store.
    It truly is the best place to buy it...

ETA: My pump died and they were able to get me my new freestyle the NEXT DAY!
    And cheapest prices around!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

It always took me about 20 minutes to pump. I would put a third vote in for the Freestyle - not only is it light, but since you don't need an outlet it makes it really easy to pump anywhere, and the handsfree option means that you can pump while you eat/do paperwork/make phone calls/etc. (When I needed extra during a growth spurt, I even pumped while cooking/cleaning!) It is about $40-50 more than the PISA, but it's more than worth it, considering how much easier it makes pumping - lighter bag to carry, pump anywhere, multitask while you pump.

It's really great that you're going to be able to leave your baby with your mother (I know there's no-one I'd rather leave DS with than my mom), and that you'll be able to nurse during the day. Leaving your baby is always hard, but since you have to, you are really lucky to have those arrangements!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png