Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: substitutions for rice cereal?

Default substitutions for rice cereal?

My baby is almost 6 months and I'm starting to think about solids. What could I substitute for rice cereal?

Default Re: substitutions for rice cereal?

Since the only reason to start with rice cereal is that it's fortified with vitamins and minerals, you can feel free to substitute any vitamin- and iron-rich food for the cereal. Spinach is a good way to start.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks... pureed spinach or would chopped be ok?

also, could I try oatmeal? Is that a good sub?

My LO just turned 6 months and I just started with oatmeal...my ped said it was no problem and I was thinking it would be less constipating
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

cooked and chopped should be fine Spinach gets super soft.

Also, just FYI ... I use to make regular steel cut oatmeal for my lo when I wanted him to have cereal. Sometimes I would ground the oats in a blender and then cook it and sometimes I would just share from my bowl. We didn't start with cereal though, we started with bananas, sweet potato, and avocado.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Hmm, I've read that spinach should wait until around 10 months because of a nitrate issue - when stored it naturally increases in nitrates.

When can I introduce Spinach to my baby?

It would best to wait to introduce spinach into baby's diet until between 10-12 months of age. Waiting until after 10 months of age to introduce baby to spinach, particularly homemade spinach, would ensure that the nitrate issue has passed. Studies have shown that if not properly stored, nitrates may increase in spinach. Waiting to introduce baby to spinach will also allow your baby to enjoy spinach in a chopped form rather than a pureed form.

Studies have shown that with improper storage of homemade spinach, nitrate levels may actually increase.

It is for this reason that many pediatricians recommend waiting until a baby is between 10-12 months of age to introduce homemade spinach.
    I'm happy to be told otherwise though, I'll happily give the next lo spinach as a first food if it's not an issue.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

We started with banana, then avacado, then sweet potato, all of them in long thin slices he could hold in his fist. Here's a great article about baby led solids.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I started my DS with baby oatmeal mixed with EBM - I thought it tasted better than rice cereal. If you want to use storebought grain cereals (b/c of vitamin and iron fortification) you can also get brown rice cereal (much tastier) and barley cereal that are good.

But like others have said, you really don't need to start on grain cereals like the pediatricians often recommend. I actually quit oatmeal for awhile in favor of sweet potato, pears, applesauce, etc. But now I'm back to oatmeal and brown rice cereal in the morning, veggies for lunch, and fruits for dinner. It's just what works for us.
    Mommy to Brennan
    - born 12/18/08 at 31 wks, 3 lb 10 oz - Now 10 months old, 17 lbs, and doing great!

Still and BumGenius cloth diapers - no end in sight!