Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore Nipples

Default Sore Nipples

DS in 6 months old. I just started working 20 hours a week, 5 hour shifts, and pumping twice during my shift. The past week or so, my nipples have become very sore. Not so much while pumping, but when ds latches on when we are together.

Could this be from too much suction while pumping. Or is ds latching differently since he is teething?

I have never had problems with sore nipples in the past. Is there anything I can do?

Default Re: Sore Nipples

Can you describe the soreness/pain a little more? Does it come at the beginning of the feeding, during letdowns, or at the end of the feeding? Any other changes/sensations accompanying it?

I'd be inclined to blame teething, since the pain is coming predominantly when your DS is nursing. But it wouldn't hurt to try a different size of breastshields or to try turning the suction down on your pump to the minimum effective level.

You also might want to try some different bottles. It's really easy to latch onto a bottle compared to the breast, so your baby might be gaining some sloppy latch habits from the bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Sore Nipples

It's more of a soreness when he first latches on, like he is clamping down hard, but I am not so sure it is his fault. It seems to get better throughout the feeding.

I think I could use a new shield for sure. I am having to turn up the suction quite a bit to get anything flowing.

Thanks for the response, this forum has always been a huge help!