Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extended Nursing & Pumping

Default Extended Nursing & Pumping

I was curious to hear from moms who have/are extended nursing and working. Is it necessary to continue to pump?

We have over 3 months until we make it to DS' first birthday, but I was just curious.

Default Re: Extended Nursing & Pumping

I think it really depends on your situation. I am still pumping for my almost 2 year old. I work full time and have always fought a low supply. I enjoy being able to pump and send milk for her! I don't think many moms pump as long as have, but let me tell you it is something that is doable. I don't send nearly as much as I used to, may 4-6oz a day now. Its a personal decision. If you don't mind pumping I say go for as long as you are comfortable with!

My dd is almost 21 months and I work ft and don't pump, although unlike pp my problem was always too much milk so keeping the supply up without pumping over the day hasn't been an issue. We still nurse mornings, evenings after work and before bed and (on weekends) before or after naptime. We dropped the last daytime feed when dd was 12 months old or so.

So I think it's more of a preference issue, if/how long you want to keep pumping after a year . . .

Em is just a year and I still pump once a day. I liek for her to have ebm before her nap in the afternoon. I htink it helps to simmer her down... the magical boob juice.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

dd is 14 months and i still pump twice a day to maintain my supply. also, bc i work ft, i like the idea of sending a bit of mommy along with her. i pump about 12 ounces a day.

DD is 12 1/2 months old, and I still pump about 7-8 ounces each day for her to have while I am away during the day. She won't take a bottle, but she'll take some in a sippy and DH finds ways to work it into her diet. I also feel that it helps keep my supply up. She continues to BF (from the source) about 4 times each day (all between the hours of 5:30 p.m and 7 a.m. )

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Wow, some of you ladies have great supplies! I pump 2 times at work, and I'm lucky to take home 6 ounces!!! It sounds like I'll need to keep pumping

My DD is 13 months and I still pump 3-4 times a day, depending on how often I can get away. DD is still in the infant room at DCP (she is only knee-walking) and I would have to send something for her to drink anyways so I choose to make it EBM. I do not have the greatest supply, I get about 3.5-4 oz every time I pump. DD takes 3 6 oz sippies of ebm a day and I supplement the missing 2 oz with my sister's milk and a little water (DD has constipation problems but won't drink just water). I'm glad to see this thread, I just got done pumping and was wondering the same thing. With my supply being an issue and DD still being in the infant room for me, I feel more comfortable continueing to pump just like I did before she turned 1 year old. I actually want her to be a later walker so she stays in the infant room longer so I can continue to send EBM without worrying that the toddler teachers will give her cow's milk by accident.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I am still nursing DD at almost 15 months. she nurses AM, before bed, and usually first thing when I come home from work. I stopped pumping at about 11 months b/c she basically lost interest in taking a bottle. She now eats a large variety of table food and drinks from a sippy cup (mostly water with the occasional juice "ice cube" for flavor). She doesn't really like cow's milk but she gets plenty of calcium from cheese and yogurt and still nurses a few times a day so I don't push the milk issue. It was nice to not have to worry about pumping at work but still know she would get the benefits of nursing when I was home with her!