Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding = Screaming

Default Breastfeeding = Screaming

Help! I am a new mom to 8 day old Rose, who is having a very hard time breast feeding. We were forced to supplement her at the hospital since she was having blood sugar issues and I was in post-op. Since then she has been fighting breast feeding every day. I have met with a LC and had some luck for a day. I tried using a NS which helped for a few days but now she refuses the breast and will scream for an hour before my husband and I worry and feed her pumped milk.

I tried not supplementing had output issues and weight loss which had the Dr recommend supplemental feedings again.

She sleeps all the time and is difficult to wake. When I do wake her she fights feeding until she has worked herself up so much that we can't console her.

I don't know what to do next.

Default Re: Breastfeeding = Screaming

Congratulations on your LO! I'm sorry that BF has not been smooth sailing for you. It wasn't for us either, but for every BF problem there is a solution. Hang in there!

There is another thread that might help you in the same section:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=7766

Also, this link may help determine the problem by following the symptoms.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

For us, crying at the breast meant acid reflux. But there are many other reasons, including OALD (over-active let down) and frustration from slow let-down.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Persistence and determination will pay off. We had similar issues with nipple confusion and really, the best thing to do is to take the bottle away. Don't use it. Stay calm, get lots of skin to skin contact and stay calm. If you stay calm, your lo will sense your composure. It is soo hard when they are fighting you and you know that giving them a bottle will calm them, will satisfy them. But, if you really want to breastfeed, you really need to be persistent. I guess I should clarify by saying that you can withold the bottle if your lo is gaining fine and doens't still have blood sugar issues!

Please...check back in with us!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I'm sorry to hear that you and Rose have gotten off to such a difficult beginning! It must be very stressful for you. I'm glad you have posted here with your questions.

Could you try getting the milk into her using something other than a bottle? You can use a syringe from the pharmacy, an eye dropper, a small flexible cup, or even a spoon. An IBCLC could help set you us with a supplemental nursing system later on in necessary, to deliver milk through a little tube taped to your breast, if that would help entice her back to the breast.

A "nipple confused" baby (i.e., a baby who has decided she prefers to drink from a bottle instead of breastfeeding) can usually be coaxed back to the breast with patience and persistence. In the meantime, though, you need to keep her fed without continuing to use the bottles. So I think the first step is to go out and get a syringe or eye dropper. Use it to get some milk into her, hopefully before she gets all stressed and upset, and then when she is more contented and relaxed, you can offer the breast, without pressure or tension.

Some moms find that wearing their baby skin-to-skin as much as possible helps a baby return to the breast. You can also try taking a warm bath together, with your husband or another adult nearby for safety.

Good luck -- let us know how these suggestions sound to you and how things go. It is hard, hard work to pump and feed EBM full-time, so I know you are eager to be fully breastfeeding as soon as possible.

--Rebecca

We had similar issues. DS was 11.5 lbs at birth, I required surgery to save my life, and he developed low blood glucose. He got a supplementary bottle while I was in surgery, and we fought nipple confusion for about 8 weeks afterwards.

I thought about giving up every day, but trying to stay focused on a) how much money we would save if I could make nursing work and b) how much healthier my baby and I would both be helped me hang in there. It worked out around 8 weeks, and nursing was much easier, although there were still some other issues to work out.

If you have to supplement, do not use a bottle as that just further perpetuates nipple confusion. Get the milk into the baby some other way. Ideally, if you have to supplement, don't use formula -- pump instead. If you supplement with formula at this point, you may risk diminishing your supply since your breasts are not being stimulated by that feed. At least if you pump, you remove the milk and have a better chance of maintaining your supply.

Your local LLL leader may be willing to work closely with you if you give her a buzz.

You can make this work. Stay calm, stay focused and just keep working at it. You'll see progress and then go back a step; don't get discouraged. The first few weeks are the hardest. Hang in there!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi there!

It can be scary when our babies aren't eating as much as they need to! What was your daughter's birth weight? What is it now?

I strongly suggest you get ahold of the LC again or a LLL Leader in your area to help you get your baby latched on.

In the meantime, rule #1 is FEED THE BABY. If this means that you need to pump and get milk into her that way, then do that. We do recommend that you don't use bottles. An eyedropper or small medicine cup or spoon are good. If you get in to see your LC again, ask about finger-feeding or SNS.

I don't mean to just pass you off, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, click on the link in my signature and find a Leader in your area who can help you in person.

Keep us updated
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!