Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Time Working Mom Nursing Past One

Default Full Time Working Mom Nursing Past One

We're nearing the 1 year mark and have had an awesome first year breastfeeding. Recently DS has been going through some teething pain and mommy has been going through some biting pain! So I'd love some suggestions on how to get through this painful time.

My main question was about BFing and weaning after 1 year. I work full time and have been lucky enough to continue expressing 3 times a day since I returned to work. I'm not sure how much longer my boss will feel so generous w/ my time and would like to begin eliminating my pumping sessions after his 1st Bday. Since my DS is accustomed to bottles during the day while I'm at work I'm hoping that replacing those w/ sippy cups of cows milk (or an alternative) won't be too hard on him. But I fully plan on BFing when at home and on the weekends as much as he wants. Has anyone else had success w/ a similar situation? I really don't want to be done with nursing as I LOVE the time it gives us together (even more so since I work outside the home). So if anyone has done the full time working mother thing and nursed past a year I would love any tips and tricks. Unfortunately for us, co-sleeping is not really an option. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Full Time Working Mom Nursing Past One

it sounds like your doing a great job...
    this article might help

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug05p170.html

I haven't done it yet, well, so far, one work-day of working and nursing past 1. Anyway, I started dropping pumping sessions a few weeks ago and am down to one a day which I will keep until my daughter refuses to drink it entirely. I don't plan on replacing it with bottles of cow's milk, I figure when she doesn't want to drink my milk from a bottle, she can be done with the bottle. She gets water in a straw cup as often as she wants.

I nurse on demand when I am with her - and she nurses a lot and so far today I am not having too much trouble waiting until noon to pump.

Go slow with phasing out the pumping and congratulations to you for making it so long with pumping. It is not the most fun thing in the world!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I nursed DD until she was 21mos old and quit pumping at work around 14mos. She had milk and water while at the sitters and nursed first thing in the a.m., before bed, and once during the night for quite a while after I pump weaned. By the time we fully weaned she was down to just bedtime and sometimes once during the night. You can absolutely nurse as often as you and your LO wish once you've stopped pumping.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I nursed my son for 21 months, and pumped until he was around 10 months old. (I also nursed during lunch since I was able to go home.) We kept going nights and weekends after I stopped pumping, and never had a problem. Good for you for sticking with it for so long!

I am a full time working mother and I am still nursing my 2 year old. I began to pump wean when he was about 14 months old. I just cut out one session and then waited a few weeks and cut out another etc. During that time I also introduced cow's milk to Max. He had been using a sippy pretty well since about 9 months, so in your position I would probably introduce a sippy asap. We started with this one
    http://www.babybungalow.com/nunosp7ozcup.html
    At first Max wasn't a huge fan of cow's milk but now he really likes it, it just takes time. Also if your LO is drinking water and you nurse several times a day when you are togerther he should be fine.

I did it with my first DD and plan to do it with this current bub too.

I pump weaned a few weeks before her first birthday (3weeks prior I think) and continued to nurse on demand whenever we were together. We replaced the bottles she got during the day with Rice milk either in a bottle or a sippy, and she did great. We nursed until she was 2.5yo.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    it sounds like your doing a great job...
    this article might help

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug05p170.html
    Thanks for the link to the article...that was helpful!

We have been introducing water in a sippy cup for a couple of months. He doesn't drink more than 1-2 oz out of it a day. I'm thinking of substituting one of his bottles of BM w/ a sippy cup of BM to get him more interested in the cup and less dependent on the bottle.

What kind of caregiver do you have? Do they have an opinion about bottles? The only bottles my daughter gets are at the babysitter's house and I'm kind of letting the babysitter take the lead on that one. Well, actually, Lilah is taking the lead. She is not a fan of bottles and we may have more luck getting her to drink the milk out of a regular cup. But anyway, that's not what I meant to post about...

My nephew was formula fed and his mom had him off the bottle at pretty close to a year by replacing a bottle with a sippy cup of milk for each feeding every two weeks, I think ending with the nap and bedtime bottles. He transitioned really well. I think it's a great idea for you to switch one bottle with a sippy cup. I hope it works.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months