Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EP two times a day-possible?

Default EP two times a day-possible?

Hi My LO is 6 weeks now and Ive been exclusively pumping insted of nursing. Im due to work a month from now, unfortunately it is virtually impossible for me to pump at work so Im thinking of pumping only twice a day when that time comes, is it possible to train my body to only produce milk twice a day and not suffer from painful engorgement /leaking and my 2nd question is - is it worth it to have LO receive 2 bottles of BM a day in terms of her receiving antibodies and so forth as opposed to her geting formula exclusively?Thank you.

Default Re: EP two times a day-possible?

how long will you be gone everyday?

ANY amount of breast milk is worth it. Even if you can give your lo an ounce a day (and I'm sure you'll probably be able to do more than that) it's all worth it.

Is there any way you could get your lo back to the breast? I don't know your situation but that would eliminate the need for you to pump when you are together and most likely lo would get more breastmilk than formula in that situation. It is possible to cut down on pumping if you absolutely must. It might be helpful to gradually cut down on pumping sessions until you are down to a few times a day.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

I'll be gone for at least 10 hours because I work 8 hours and alloted 2 hours for commute. My work will not allow me to pump unfortunately. I was planning to switch to formula when I go back to work but because of swine flu scare I decided to continue giving DD breastmilk by pumping twice a day.

Thank you so much for your replies, I stopped nursing because I have over supply of milk and in constant state of engorgement/leaking..this was my problem with my first daughter and I gave up at 4 months because it became stressful for me, at that time I wasnt working and I regretting stopping. This time I'm working out of the home and I actually was trying to decrease my supply by just pumping but my milk is still very much abundant, my freezer is filled up. My prob is my work wont allow me to pump so I really have no choice but to stop pumping during most of the day.

is it possible to train my body to only produce milk twice a day and not suffer from painful engorgement /leaking
    It's totally possible to pump only 2X per day without suffering from engorgement/leaking. Eventually, your body adjusts to produce only as much milk as is being demanded of it, without a lot of extra left over to make you feel engorged. However, "eventually" is the key word here- you probably should not expect to transition from pumping 6X per day (or however often you are pumping) to 2X per day without experiencing a period of engorgement. You may want to cut out pumping sessions one at a time- going from 6X per day to 5X per day for a few days, then cutting back to 4X per day for a few days, etc. That should allow your body to gradually decrease production without resulting in a lot of engorgement.

Even if you do reduce your pumping sessions to 2 per day, you may still experience some leaking for a while, so I would definitely wear pads to work for a while if you don't want to risk the occasional milk spot on your blouse. But leaking does stop eventually- your body just discovers how to hold the milk in! Cool, right?

and my 2nd question is - is it worth it to have LO receive 2 bottles of BM a day in terms of her receiving antibodies and so forth as opposed to her geting formula exclusively?
    Yes, it's ABSOLUTELY worth it. Any amount of breastmilk is good, and is an advantage over a pure formula diet. This is a cool article about the chemical make-up of breastmilk, and it really helps you understand why formula just can't mimic the complex chemistry of human milk.

My prob is my work wont allow me to pump so I really have no choice but to stop pumping during most of the day.
    Are you sure? In some states/countries, you are legally entitled to breaks during which you may pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What state do you live in? There is legislation protecting bf moms in many states no matter what many employers say.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Well it sounds like if your freezer is full then you might be able to go a while before you need to use formula. I'm very sorry to hear that work won't let you pump I think with all the flu scares going around that employers should be more supportive of nursing moms. But like I said before any amount of milk you can pump is beneficial.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sentimental.geek View Post

What state do you live in? There is legislation protecting bf moms in many states no matter what many employers say.
    I live in Omaha Nebraska and I work as a call center agent. My boss wasn't too happy that I took 12 weeks off maternity leave even though its legal for me to do so I cant imagine asking him for pumping breaks. I can probably fight him when it goes down to it but I think its not a totally good idea..sad but true..

We can totally understand that it's hard to fight your boss about something like this, and that in this economy the idea of putting your job at risk is a frightening one. However, I think it's always good to know your rights as an employee, so...

The US Department of Labor says that you are entitled to a break of "½ hour, off premises, between 12 noon and 1 p.m. or at other suitable lunch time" unless "unless employee is covered by a valid collective bargaining agreement or other written agreement between an employer and employee." So that implies that you might be legally entitled to a 1/2 hour lunch break during which you can pump, unless you have that collective bargaining agreement or written agreement with your employer.

If you're interested in pursuing what exactly you are entitled to, you may wish to contact the NE Department of Labor (550 South 16th Street, Box 94600, Lincoln, NE 68509-4600, phone: (402) 471-9000, e-mail: www.Nebraskaworkforce.com/).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"