Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: heartbroken at dentist

Default heartbroken at dentist

dd (2 years old)was goofing around the other day, slipped & came down on the side of her crib with her chin & ended up breaking her front tooth. So, we took her first trip to the dentist. Aside from the broken tooth, she noticed some other cavities. I don’t think her enamel was fully formed on her top two teeth when they came in, so I think they were even more susceptible. Anyway, at first I assumed it was that plus too much candy & not enough brushing (or not good enough brushing) which the dentist was agreeing with until I mentioned she still breastfeeds. As soon as I said that, she switched gears and said that’s the cause of them & went on to say it’s similar to babies with bottle mouth. She didn’t insist I should wean or anything, but implied it would be better for her teeth if I did. I didn’t respond much at the time (because I was trying not to cry), but from all I’ve read up to now, I thought breastmilk didn’t cause cavities & was completely different. I even heard Dr Sears say that on tv a while back. I didn’t even tell this part to my husband because I didn’t want him to latch on to it & want me to give up bf’ing her. But I want to do what’s best for her (& her teeth), especially since we're looking at potentiaaly high priced treatment for the cavities she has & having to sedate her to fix them. I don;t want to do anything to make her teeth any worse. I just don’t truly believe bf’ing is a cause. As common as it is to bf a toddler in so many cultures, I don't think they're all running around with bad teeth, so I'm really thinking it's more my lack of holding her down to brush her teeth well enough & often enough.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm looking for any personal experiences on this since I don;t know many people who bf past one (unfortunately).
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: heartbroken at dentist

I'm sorry, momma, that you are going through this! I am bf my 16 mo. old and we haven't been to the dentist yet... so I am interested to see what will happen... and interested to see what other mommas will say. I'm sorry that I don't have any advice or stories, just a

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Here you go, this is a thread about our experiences, alot of good info from the other mamas in there....

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...t=hand+slapped

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Talking Re: heartbroken at dentist

I am sorry that this happened to you. It seems like a common theme, though. I posted a thread in this area (breastfeeding beyond one) not so long about about how much to actually worry about decay after my 3 year old's first trip to the dentist and he gave me a hard time about nursing dd2 who is 18 months old.

Most people agreed that it is really not BFing but has a lot to do with genetics. I really think that some people are more prone to dental issues then others.

Good luck!
    Mommy to DM 6/21/06 and YR 4/9/08 30 months and counting

Been there - more of our story in the link jerimijasmommy posted.

Feel free to PM me if you need more detail etc.

DS1 6/08/06
    DS2 5/26/09