Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, I think my son is a savage!

Default Re: Help, I think my son is a savage!

Thanks mommal, that was helpful! I will still have to pump when I go back to work! I like the bond of nursing and the fact that my baby needs me, I was just so worried that he wasn't getting enough. I did talk to the pediatrician yesterday and she said basically the same thing....that he was growing healthy and that I should continue to nurse more and pump less just for convienience. Thanks again!

My pleasure! And I'm glad you got good advice from your pediatrician. Ultimately, I think you'll find that nursing is a lot more convenient than pumping- it just takes a while for that switchover to happen. I read recently that in terms of work, breastfeeding a newborn is more work than bottle-feeding. But as time goes on, that changes, and breastfeeding becomes the easier route.

It's great that you're planning to pump when you go back to work, and that it sounds like pumping is working out pretty well for you! And hey, it sounds like you're not going to have to worry about your baby taking the bottle- he sounds like a pro at that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I wanted to quickly address those "gift bags" that the hospital sent home to you - and the free cans of formula that the formula company mails.

These are the #1 way that mamas are sabotaged with BF and how the fall into the formula trap
    And this isn't something we're making up because we're rabid pro-breastfeeding nuts (I mean, we are rabid pro-breastfeeding nuts, but even so we're not making this up)- there was actually a study in the American Journal of Public Health that showed that breastfeeding moms who were given formula gift bags were statistically less likely to make it to 10 weeks of nursing than those who weren't.

If you're interested in the gift bag issue, check out banthebags.org.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you read about bottlefeeding the breastfed baby? It's easy to overfeed with the bottle because if you don't give babe breaks, they can't stop sucking! On a breast, they can generally regulate the flow themsleves.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

Wink Re: Help, I think my son is a savage!

Once again thanks for the info! It really helps. As for the gift bags....though I am glad that we had the bottles the first night we came home from the hospital, you need not to worry, I won't fall into the 10 weeks trap. I work in health care and I understand the value of bf vs ff. I do like the bag though because the bag it self was really nice and came with freezer packs for transporting milk! Mommal, you are right he does seem to be a pro with the bottle!