Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeding on demand after 1?

Default Re: Feeding on demand after 1?

I think the limits kind of come naturally. At some point, you'll offer food or drink instead of nursing b/c you have recently nursed and don't want to right now, it's not convient, you think their real need is hunger, you are out and about, etc. It happens as a gradual process. We eventually got down to set times for nursing, but that was after a new baby was in the picture and he was 3. And, even with the new baby, he could have short nursing sessions (a 5 count) if he needed it. How Weaning Happens is a good read that gives you a feel for the mother/baby dance of weaning.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

For me, the big difference will be not making huge concessions to make sure she nurses well and often each and every time. Like yesterday when we had a birthday party I tried to nurse her cradle style and she was too busy to really nurse very long and I just let it go at that for another hour.

But even as a smaller infant sometimes you have no choice but to make them wait while you drive home or stir something on the pot.

It's hard to say where we will be in 2-3 years but I want this relationship to play the course at its own speed.

I nursed on demand during the day more or less until my kid weaned- but at a certain point I did distract when nursing wasn't convenient, by offering solid food or a game instead of another trip to the boob. It was a very natural transition- it wasn't like I one day up and decided "I am no longer interested in nursing on demand". It was more like one day I realized that I wasn't automatically pulling up my shirt every time DD whined- I was just using other types of comfort, too.

That being said, I did partially night-wean at around 11 months and totally night-wean at age 2, and I also consciously eliminated the first a.m. feeding around age 2, because I was tired of it and DD really was no longer particularly interested in it.

Demand feeding really becomes much easier as time progresses- as a baby gets older, there are so many other things that attract their attention, and demand really plummets as they get busier.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks you so much ladies!!! This has all been so helpful. I am going to let him let me know when he is ready...I did try the last 2 days not nursing him for nap and bedtime just to see what his reaction would be and he went down no problem at all. He understands "night night" so I think without him relying on me that I happy to nurse him whenever he wants. He also just started getting molars so he needs to nurse more than ever...I really want to thank you all for all of your help. This board is such a tremendous gift...be well...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*homeworkwithheather View Post
    Thanks you so much ladies!!! This has all been so helpful. I am going to let him let me know when he is ready...I did try the last 2 days not nursing him for nap and bedtime just to see what his reaction would be and he went down no problem at all. He understands "night night" so I think without him relying on me that I happy to nurse him whenever he wants. He also just started getting molars so he needs to nurse more than ever...I really want to thank you all for all of your help. This board is such a tremendous gift...be well...
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012