Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding on demand after 1?

Default Feeding on demand after 1?

I just made 1 year on the 20th...unbelievable...I remember the first few weeks thinking I would never be successful...amazing...now my question is...how long did all of you feed on demand? I have every intention of nursing my son until 2 and even after if I am so lucky...but just wondering how long those who practice extended breastfeeding did feed on demand...also...if I should implement a schedule...how would I go about that?

thx in advance ladies!

Default Re: Feeding on demand after 1?

I still nurse on demand. I know lots of mama's here change things up with toddlers, like not NIP, or night weaning, but we're not there.

I'll be interested to follow this thread.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Congratulations on making it to a year mama! Isn't it a great feeling?

C is 15 months old and we still nurse on demand. I think you should do whatever you and your little guy are comfortable with. If you do want to cut out some sessions, I would choose which one you want to cut out the most and go from there. I don't see anything wrong with starting to set limits if that is what you would like to do.

I plan in nursing on demand for a long time / we are doing child led weaning.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I plan in nursing on demand for a long time / we are doing child led weaning.
    Same here.

Do what feels right for you and your lo.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

My guy is 21 months, and we still nurse on demand, with one exception. I did night wean him several months ago. So his "on demand" times are from about 5:30 in the morning until around 10:00 at night. Sometimes recently, though, I've been asking him to wait until I finished something I was in the middle of. Mostly, he can, because I always follow through and he gets it on demand all the rest of the time. I can't really picture ever not nursing him on demand.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Whereas part of me is sincerely looking forward to the day when we are not nursing at all, it only makes SENSE to nurse on demand until LO is all done. On her own terms. Weaning from my desires just doesn't feel right for me. So until she is done, we will always be nursing on demand.

Of course she is just turning 1 on Tuesday, so we have a long road ahead of us... unless something major takes place... this is the road we're taking!
    Nursed for 18 months

First off, CONGRATS!!!

I never scheduled my LO - so I guess you could say that we did on demand as long as he nursed. Although demand is a lot different with a toddler!
    When he picks up nursing from what he does now (they all seem to do that around 18 months, then go back down again) if your feeling stressed, or resentful of the nursing he's certainly old enough for some sort of boundaries or limits. Like for instance, a 6 month old cannot understand "just a minute" but a 2 year old can. Also I'd never tell anyone to limit time at the breast with a baby but a 3 year old, sometimes you might need to Nursing at night got to be really hard for me after 2 so we'd sing ABC's once though and then, all done! At that point he just said ok mommy now we cuddle.

Nursing the second year was a lot of fun for us, it's just as worth it as the first year!

We still nurse on demand, but as pp said, the older they get the more they can understand the concept of waiting, depending on the circumstance. For instance, if DS asks to nurse while I am stirring something on the stove, I can tell him what I'm doing and stall him with a piece of vegetable/fruit until I'm done. But if he trips and bonks himself, I nurse him right away, because that is a need rather than a want.

The biggest change we made (somewhere around 14mo) is that at mealtimes I offered food before nursing, rather than after. He would nurse after eating (still does, although now it's more of a sip than a real nurse), but he ate more solids that way and it was suggested to me as a good way to move his transition process along.

Welcome to toddler nursing - it just gets sweeter and sweeter!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Congrats on making it a year! I guess I still nurse on demand. I don't really nurse him too much during the day anymore unless it's down for his nap and I nurse him down at bedtime and many times throughout the night.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and