Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coughing/choking & gasping

Default Re: Coughing/choking & gasping

Sasha, you are only NINE DAYS into motherhood! You're allowed to make mistakes and learn from trial and error, you know -- we all do!

I suspect that you have caught the oversupply problem early enough that it's not going to take three months to resolve. Just be careful from now on not to needlessly stimulate milk production through pumping, and chances are you will quickly see some improvement.

I also want to reassure you that Sophie is doing okay. She is so tiny -- she doesn't know about pumping and OALD, and I'm quite sure she isn't going to hold any grudges over anything. She is learning right along with you, and will be your breastfeeding teammate for months to come.

Be patient, especially with yourself, okay?

--Rebecca

Thanks so much for the support. I have already begun cool compresses after nursing and will most likely not be pumping again until breastfeeding is well-established and daddy and me need a night out

I'm just concerned about her health and interest in the breast- Everytime she coughs I'm afraid she's being harmed. Already I can recognize what her beahviour is just before the cough is coming though- maybe I can break the suction quick enough to squirt-in-a-towel before she gasps.

Thanks again... In spite of all the reading I did, there was so much I never knew about breastfeeding!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka
    Thanks again... In spite of all the reading I did, there was so much I never knew about breastfeeding!!
    You can say that again! I nursed 2 other babies befoer this one and I never knew a fraction before of what I've learned on this, and through this board! don't-cha love it!

Good job for sticking to it!! it will work itself out!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yeah, I'm keeping at it, and probably keeping my sanity due to this place.

Reclining seemed to work well- she stayed latched for a good ten minutes with no coughing! If only she'd have stayed awake for the other side...

Hi there Rusaalka!

I looked back through the thread and didn't see anything about your baby's weight. What was her birthweight? What is it now?

You've gotten some GREAT information from Rebecca. I also suggest you go back and read the kellymom and LLL links if you haven't already! Especially this one: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html.

As Rebecca said, you're only 9 days in. I'm glad to hear that your baby has only had breastmilk for the last 24 hours and her output looks great (assuming those dirties were ALSO wet). She should be having at least 5-6 wet disposable (6-8 cloth) and 2 dirties per day. You'll hear the term "large bowel movements", but for a newborn a "large" BM is actually the size of a US quarter!

As long as the baby's output looks fine, go ahead and eliminate the formula and definitely eliminate the pumping! LLL's The Breastfeeding Answer Book (97 ed., page 49, 88) gives these strategies to help a mother eliminate coughing and choking during a feeding session:

-Add a . . .pillow under the baby and lean back slightly so that her breast is angled upward
    -Lean back in a rocking chair with her feet on a pillow, stool, or low table and her knees drawn up.
    -Lie on her side with a folded bath towel under the baby so that his face is angled slightly downward toward her nipple.

Many mothers find the side-lying position better because some milk will dribble out of the baby's mouth during feeding (you may want to put something underneath you and the baby for this reason). Some mothers find it's easier to feed frequently to reduce the amount of milk that gathers in the breast. You may also find it easier to nurse when your baby is drowsy--baby will suck more gently and may not stimulate as strong of a let-down. If your baby swallows a lot of air during feedings, make sure to burp her frequently and then re-offer the breast.

As long as her output is good (and her weight continues to go up) you can feed her at one breast per feeding. This may help her cope better with the letdown and it may help your supply adjust more closely to her needs. If the opposite breast becomes engorged, offer it to the baby and see if she'll take it. If you must, pump JUST enough to relieve discomfort, but don't "empty" the breast.

You'll probably find that even just a few days of working through this will help tremendously. But again, watch those wet and dirty diapers closely. If she isn't having enough wet diapers or (yellow) stools, then you probably need to start offering both sides per feeding again.

Keep us posted and come back with questions as often as you like! We'll help you through this!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka
    Yeah, I'm keeping at it, and probably keeping my sanity due to this place.

Reclining seemed to work well- she stayed latched for a good ten minutes with no coughing! If only she'd have stayed awake for the other side...
    Excellent! If it works, keep doing it! Don't stress if she isn't nursing on both sides at a feeding--just offer that side next feeding. And as I said in my post above, watch that output!

You may find that eliminating the formula feeding and pumping is a little scary because you're not depending on numbers to know how much your baby is eating. Counting those wet and dirty diapers can give you the most accurate measure of whether or not she's eating enough.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

bumping this thread up for new momma.
    -linda

I don't really have any advice b/c I'm going through the same thing with my LO... only she's 5.5 months. I got paranoid and thought my milk was no longer coming in and started pumping like a mad woman and now the poor baby gets sprayed in the eye every time she eats.

Anyways I just wanted to say hang in there! I've been reading your threads and you're doing great! It will get easier. There may still be problems but you will take them more in stride the more experience you get!

Feeling overwhelmed.......

I know I have an appointment with the pediatrician just tomorrow, but I'm beginning to feel a little stressed again...

When she eats in short sessions several times in a row (as in, say, 6 pm, then 6:15, then 6:30) when should I time the next feeding from? I know she should be offered the breast every two hours- so would it be two hours from the last time she's eaten period, no matter how short the session?

I am losing sleep over this... I can't get it off my mind even when she is down for nap and I have my chance...

LLL LactoJen-
    If a US quarter is a large bm for a baby, then my baby has gargantuan ones! A huge, seedy yellow mess!
    Her bitrhweight was 9lbs-8oz, which went up to 9lbs-11oz, then down to 9lbs-1oz when we left the hospital- and a couple days later, at the pediatrician, was back up to 9lbs-3oz. I haven't found her weight out since but I'm going to tomorrow. She's only been without supplements for about a day and a half now.
    Last edited by JustSasha; September 19th, 2006 at 05:59 PM.

When people talk about feeding every 2-3 hrs they mean from the beginning of each nursing session. BUT really, you shouldn't be watching the clock AT ALL! Trust yourself. Your LO is doing great and so are you!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001