Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing baby and would like to pump for toddler

Default Nursing baby and would like to pump for toddler

Hi. I posted this in the tandem nursing section but this might be a better section to post to.

I am nursing my 5m old and would like to start pumping for my 2.5 y/o who weaned when her sister was born but asks for "pumped mama". Can anyone give me any suggestions? I've read that is best to pump in the am but realistically noon would be much easier. Does it make a big difference?

I am mainly wanting to do this for the immune benefits. She has gotten sick more since weaning than ever before. Will even just a little provide lots of immunity? How much is enough?

With my oldest daughter I pumped for donation so I am thinking this would be similar.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Nursing baby and would like to pump for toddler

I've read that is best to pump in the am but realistically noon would be much easier. Does it make a big difference?
    Maybe. Most moms have the most milk at night and in the mornings, and see their supply drop throughout the day. So by noon, the average mom is going to have relatively less milk to pump.

But you should do what works for you! If you find you get good output from pumping at noon or thereabouts, then great! If not, then you might want to switch to an a.m. pumping session and see if you get better results.

Will even just a little provide lots of immunity?
    Perhaps. It's hard to quantify how much immune protection there is per ounce of breastmilk. But any amount is good!

How much is enough?
    Since you can't quantify the amount of immune protection your child will receive per oz of breastmilk, you're probably going to have to figure the answer to this question out based on results. If you give her 1 oz per day and see no change, you may want to increase to 2 oz, and see if you notice a better outcome, and so forth.

Best of luck!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"