Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your first exposure to ENing?

Default Re: Your first exposure to ENing?

I was never exposed to bf, but always knew I would. The first time I saw anyone bf was at church and I was a little shocked. Not sure why I guess because I had never seen it before. Anyway I bf my dd in front of my 6 and 4 year old so they will grow up to know it is normal to bf. My mom proudly tells everyone now her granddaughters are bf (Are you bf? is also what she asks). She says it's funny she never even thought of bf her children.

hi Jillian! This is why I keep the same name where ever I post about breastfeeding,
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

Me too! Nice to see you!

Smile Re: Your first exposure to ENing?

The first time I saw a toddler nursing was at an LLL meeting when I pregnant with my first child in 1989. I was shocked! Now 16 years and six children later I'm still nursing my almost four year old daughter. We share a birthday on March 24 with my mother/her grandmother. NO, it wasn't planned that way, lol.

At a LLL meeting -- the leader had a 3 or 4-year-old and he looked HUGE to me! I was startled but not horrified since I was nursing my "ancient" 10-month-old at the time, lol. I was at that meeting in support of my very pregnant friend who was nervous about nursing, and when we saw that big kid nursing I was wondering if she'd run away screaming.

Oh, and now *I* am nursing a nearly-4-year-old along with his baby brother.

I guess my first exposure to "extended" nursing was at my neice's 1st birthday party. Her cousin, who was a couple of months younger, was casually being nursed by his mom. I was somewhat educated on the benefits of bf, but had never seen an "older" baby nurse before... and I'd never seen anyone nurse without using a blanket as cover up. How sad is that! I wasn't sure where to look or what to do, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. I had actually been more shocked a year earlier when SIL didn't even attempt to bf dn.

I read about extended bf beyond 1 year online before I ever saw anyone do so. So, I wasn't completely unprepared at the first LLL meeting I went to when ds was a few months old. I finally saw toddlers nursing, which I thought was great... but I admit I was a little wigged out by a mother who was still nursing a nearly 5-year-old.

Now, nursing my 2-year-old through a pregnancy and planning to tandem seems perfectly natural.

well, my mother nursed me until i was almost three, and even though i knew that was considered a "little long," it never occurred to me that most people actually consider it "really long!"

i never saw anyone else ENing until i converted to Islam, where nursing until two is actually the norm and is expected.

the other day though i had a lady say to me while i was out, "so what's it like nursing a toddler???" and i realized that many people think that this is quite unusual!

I really don't have any memory of seeing an older baby ('cause even past 12 months they're still our babies). Even at LLL meetings the todlers aren't nursing as often so they tend to go through the meeting without needing to nurse. There are lots of other kids to play with keeping them busy.

My dd will be turning 1 next month. Since I don't have an example of EN in my past I'm very proud to look for opportunities to be someone else’s example. I had a friend's (more of an acquaintance) 5 yr-old daughter ask me a few months back "what is your baby doing???" while nursing. At first I was self-conscious explaining she was drinking her milk. But then I thought about what a good example I was setting for that little girl.

Thanks so much I thought I just weaned my little girl she has been 5 for about a week now and although we had the your a big girl talk and all she still comes and takes a sip once in a while. She loves it but is transitioning out of it. Glad to see others have been their. I first seen some one doing this when I was in Phonix a muslim woman nursed her 4 year old son at the park everyday. I never spoke to her but then I looked it up online when mine was little about 2 and wow why stop is what I thought. I saw pics online and was amazed.

Well dont flame me, but my first experience was at a local LLLeague meeting as well.

Zachary was 6 weeks at the time, and a little boy (4 1/2) walked up to his mom, pulled up her shirt (while she was talking to the group), pulled down her bra and nursed away, just standing there for 4 or 5 minutes then pulled her shirt back down and went on playing.

I was in SHOCK....I could NOT imagine ane KNEW at that time that would NOT be me....now I think back and PRAY that I *AM* that woman...though maybe not such a casual kind of thing, I want Zachary to come cuddle when he nurses (even at that age!)