Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your first exposure to ENing?

Default Your first exposure to ENing?

Who was the first person you saw ENing? What do you remember about it? How did you feel or think when you saw or heard about it?

I was standing in BestFed breastfeeding store in Phoenix Az when I saw a woman cuddeling a 3 year old across her lap. She stood up, still holding the toddler and I realized she was nursing. I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh! She is nursing that toddler!" Konur was 6 weeks old at the time. I thought it was so cool and told her so, we became very good friends.

You?
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

Default Re: Your first exposure to ENing?

I watched my mother bf my sister until she was 3. I was between the ages of 6-9. She was a LLL leader and I loved going to meetings with her because they were always so full of love. I would sit quietly and bf my baby doll when I was younger or just listen as I grew older. I probably knew more about bf at that age than most women ever do (probably absorbed more then than I remember now). I just seemed very natural. I always make sure I tell women how awesome I think it is when I see it, even before I had ds. Maybe the more women who see it or do it will normalize this natural act for others!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I remember my mother breastfeeding my brother until he was two. (so I was six when he was weaned) Because of that, I set 2yo as my goal for nursing.

When my first ds was a year old, I saw my 5yo nephew being nursed to sleep, and at first I was a bit stunned. However, I have learned never to say never, and that same ds is now 4yr3mths and still nursing.

My older half-sister had her kids about 15 years before me, and so I was a teenager when she was nursing babies. I don't remember seeing her nursing a toddler, but I know that I knew that she nursed two of her children past the first year, so it didn't seem wierd to me to learn that this happens. (Does that make sense?) I remember saying from the start of my own nursing relationship that I had no "maximum" goal, no age in mind by which I would wean my son, and that I had to explain to my husband that there was a good chance our son would still be nursing when he learned to talk.

I do remember attending my first Attachment Parenting International group when my son was tiny and feeling a bit of a visceral shock at the sight of a 3yo nursing. It wasn't just the size or age of the child. I think I was still on a steep learning curve with my son; just latching him on took quite a bit of focus and concentration. This mom just opened her nursing flap without pausing in her conversation, and the kid did all the rest! It sort of opened my mind to the idea that a nursing relationship changes over time as the child grows and changes.

--Rebecca

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

The first time I ever saw someone nursing a toddler was at a LLL meeting. It really opened my eyes!

Jacqui

Me too, at a LLL meeting, It really made me rethink what was "normal"... I had a friend you nured until 22 mos but this wee girl was closer to 3. I am now looking forward to nursing ds as long as he wants.

I had never seen anyone breast feed for more than a few weeks. In the beginning with Evan I set my goal for six months and that came and went and I was nursing a one year old. I thought that Evan might be the last baby I ever had. I had experianced two miscarriages and a still birth between his brother Jonathan and him so I really didn't want to let go of this bond with my baby and it has lasted now for 28 months and I couldn't be happier. I am so happy to have found this board I came looking for information for a friend for her new baby with a metabolic disorder and I found this board and read your posts and I realize that I am not alone in this and it is healthy and normal.

So this board is my first contact with anyone that nursed longer than a few weeks.

Radonna

Welcome Radonna!

I hope the boards here are a good resource for you and for others who feel isolated in their breastfeeding lives.

Have you looked for a local LLL group? Some areas even have meetings specifically for toddlers. There's nothing quite like being in the same room with half a dozen other moms and kids all nursing like it's no big deal. I found it very empowering, and it also helped me develop close friendships with local moms who share many of my parenting values.

--Rebecca

Hello Konur's Mom,

You are on another board I frequent - GBM!

Anyways, the first time I saw someone EBF, was at a play group. I had a 2 month old, and her toddler came running up to her. He was about 18 months. He lifted her shirt, and she continued talking as if nothing was happening. I remember thinking wow, I wonder if I could be comfortable doing that in public?

Now I have a 26 month old, and she is still an avid nurser lol! We do it in public all the time. Most of the time we go unnoticed, but it just seems normal to us.

Well my first exposure to BF at all was when I was about 14 and thought how cool was that. I knew from that point on that is what I wanted to do. When I had DS almost 17 yrs ago.. I never gave it a second thought about BF and things were a bit different then. Anway when I was PG with DD, she is now 3yrs old I went to a LLL meeting trying to connect and see if things changed over the years(Thank goodness for the better!) I seen a then 21 month old son of the LLL leader and I thought oh well to each their own, they have to do what is best for them but I will only nurse till DD was 18 months I said this as I BF DS till he was 14 months. Well I nursed DD until she was 2 and would have continued but I weaned due to some meds my then doctor wanted to put me on.
    It was time and it is SO adorable to see DD now, nurse her babies without giving it a second thought!