Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

Hello,
    I am bf my 4 mo son. He nurses about 6 times per day. I am back to work (from home which allows me to continue to bf on demand) and I teach several fitness classes 2 nights per week. My son eats every 4 hours. I have gotten VERY little sleep since his birth and have been pretty miserable. About a week ago, I started expressing milk so my husband could give him a bottle for his midnight feeding and I could get a little more sleep. I have been much happier since being able to get more sleep!
    The problem is when I pump, I only get about 2 oz. I am having to pump about 3 times per day plus feed my son. I feed him every 4 hours and pump in between. It feels as though I am pumping ALL THE TIME!
    I think all the pumping is starting to interfere with my letdown and supply, my son has been fussy at the breast the last few days. I started giving him 2 oz of formula with his midnight bottle of em(4oz) and he seems a little constipated... I feel like I need to stop pumping and exclusively bf but I don't want to be so miserable! Just the thought of no sleep makkes me want to cry. With him eating every 4 hours, I end up getting maybe 4 hours of sleep every night. And its not consecutive... I need more than an hour here and there.
    Sorry this is so long... please respond with advice!!!

Default Re: Help!

How are your sleeping arrangements? Are you getting up to a separate room and/or sitting up to nurse him?
    My LO nursed every two hours until he was about 11 months, 4 hours is quite a long stretch for the breastfed baby!! I would have been a zombie without being able to nurse and sleep at the same time. Cosleeping worked for us because I could latch him on laying down and then fall back asleep.

Are you pumping at night when your LO is getting a bottle?? If not that may be the cause of a little dip. Night time nursing is really important for supply, if your not nursing you've got to be pumping if your LO is taking a bottle. I'd skip the bottle feeding, it sounds really nice in theory but it ends up being more of a PITA than it's worth. Figuring out a night nursing that helps you both get sleep is the way to go.

Thanks Jessica!

Cosleeping is not an option for us. I have to wake up and walk to his crib (down the hall). Then I sit up and bf for 15 minutes. By the time I am done, I am fully awake and it takes me awhile to get back to sleep once in my own bed.

-colleen

What about sleeping in his room or doing a side car? We weren't meant to get up go down the hall to our babies and then go back to bed! That's why it's exhausting. Can you guys get in the same room? That's really helpful!!

I'm starting to think about the arms reach co cleeper but he's 4 months. I'm worried its too late to start that. He's been doing great in his crib since he was 5 weeks...

Why are you getting so upset at the thought of not sleeping? I wonder if stressing out about how much you're not sleeping is making you feel worse? I know that on the nights when I worry about the fact that my daughter is waking up every 2 hours that I feel much worse than the nights that I don't even bother to look at the clock. Last night she was latched on almost the entire night and I am not feeling like the nicest person today, but I know that she needs it or she wouldn't be doing it.

I see that you're worried about the amount you're pumping and that you're giving your son formula. When you give him formula you are telling your body not to produce that amount of milk.

I can't remember what you said in your other post - are you pumping at the same time every day in the morning to try to increase the amount you're getting out? That should help. Also, try eating oatmeal, drink lots of water, and check out the increasing your milk forum.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

do you work tracie?
    it'd be much easier to not care about lack of sleep if I had no job... but since I need to be up and functioning every morning M-F at 6:30am, I do worry.

I do work. I get up at 5:30 AM Monday through Thursday, get my daughter to the babysitter by 7, work until 5, pick her up and get her to bed by 7 pm. I go to bed at 9 pm or earlier if she just isn't sleeping in more than 45 minute increments. I have been doing this for 8 months now. It is hard and I am not sleeping in. On the weekends I get to sleep in all the way to 7 am.

I was not trying to be offensive, I was trying to say that I have noticed that the nights and weeks that I stress about how much sleep I am not getting that I feel worse than on the nights that I don't even worry about it. So, last night was a very bad night by all accounts - she was up at a minimum of every 45 minutes, but since I just rolled with it instead of worrying about it, I am a fully functioning, although cranky, person at work today.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months