Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nursing thru biopsy

Default nursing thru biopsy

This is my first time to post here. I have a 14 mo. old nursling and have no plans to wean. I had a mammogram yesterday and the doctor wants to do a biopsy on one breast. She said it's nothing to panic about but I'm very high risk so they want to be certain. She suggested they schedule for one month from now so I have time to wean. I pushed for more information re. why I would have to wean and the two answers I received were so images would be clearer (for additional ultrasounds and mammograms, I assume) and to reduce risk of infection re. the biopsy.

I'd like to continue to nurse as 1) I'm actually not worried about what showed up on the mammogram and don't think it's going to actually be anything of concern (how's that for a positive attitude!) and 2) this isn't how I imagined our nursing relationship to end.

So, I am looking for come actual 'evidence' I can present to the doctor/hospital in support of nursing before, after, etc. a needle biopsy.

Thanks!

Default Re: nursing thru biopsy

do you have a local LLL leader? She can help you find more info.

I know there's a mama here who had a biopsy (or two?) while nursing--I bet she'll be along soon!

what kind of biopsy do they want to do?

I had 2 rounds of sterotactic needle biopsy - just did a local at the biopsy site.

I pumped before the procedure and I need to look at my notes .. but am pretty sure that I was told that by the time the lidocaine wore off I'd be okay to nurse again.

If you're having a surgical procedure then its a little more complicated because anesthesia is involved, but that often involves just doing pump-and-dump one time.

Get as much info as possible about the type of biopsy and EVERY medication they plan to use!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

It's a needle biopsy with just a local. I was told recovery would simply be an ice pack....so it's not an invasive procedure.

Can you contact an IBCLC at a local hospital and get specifics from them?

I don't know anything about nursing and biopsys of breasts, but I had a thyroid biopsy while nursing, had a local anesthetic and was told I could nurse right after the procedure.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I don't have "evidence" for you - but you shouldn't have to wean!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Possible for you to get a second opinion?
    For one thing breastmilk can help reduce an infection - you can use it like neosporin! Mother's nurse after having an abscess drained, that's a cut directly into the milk duct! Even if you weaned today you'd still be able to produce milk in a month I bet ya. A few drops no problem, about the same as if you pumped right before.
    It doesn't seem to me that the Dr understands the lactating breast! I'd get some rec's from an IBCLC in your area.

I'm scheduled for a sterotactic needle biopsy on 11/18. I emailed the doc and said that while we are weaning, she won't be done by 11/18 and my breasts will still be producing milk. I asked if we can go ahead w/ the procedure if I'm still nursing some (she doesn't need to know what "some" means) and that I can express before the test. Waiting to hear what she says.

My LO's ped is so supportive it just makes me so happy. He says that although other docs may say I should wean, if LLL says it's okay than it's okay to keep nursing. Overall, though, I know it's most important that I have this biopsy to make sure all is okay and I don't want to push it any further.
    Last edited by @llli*txmom1; October 27th, 2009 at 07:03 PM.

An update to my update:
    The nurse responded to my email that if I was aware of the small risk of a fistula, I could continue to nurse!
    I'm so happy that I pushed back from what I was originally told. Now no weaning for us. I know nursing will help getting through the biopsy much easier!