Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight loss & BF

Default Re: Weight loss & BF

Quote Originally Posted by new_parent_03
    I just wanted to give a quick update on this: We met with an LC and she thinks that there might be a yeast infection, possibly due to antibiotics during c-section. So we are using a healing ointment and combining direct feeding with pumping, which seems to be going OK so far (can do 1oz. max w/ pumping). We are also looking into ways of increasing the milk supply as recommended by the LC. Thanks for all your help. We have another ped. appt. soon to check the weight.
    I'm so sorry to hear about all of the issues you and your family are having right now. Having been there, I feel for you! From reading your posts, I suspected a yeast infection (thrush). I had thrush nipples as well. My nipples hurt even when not feeding, and when air or water from the shower hit them. I rubbed Lotrimin on them after each feeding, then washed my nipples before a feeding. This helped after about a week. It's a lot of work! I also had an incorrect latch, so scabs became an issue.

The only advice I can give you is HANG IN THERE! It will all be worth it when you see your baby thriving on the food nature intended for him/her. Also, it is rare that a woman cannot make enough milk, so please take my advice and do not introduce any supplementation (of formula) unless you are absolutely positive that your baby is not getting enough milk. I had a dr that did not fully support breastfeeding, and we introduced formula based on his advice. I deeply regret this. It is a vicious cycle to enter into (formula supplementation). Long story short, I have had EVERY issue in the book (mastitis, thrush, possible low milk supply, over abundant milk supply) and the only way we were able to get to exclusive breastfeeding was by putting that baby to the breast OFTEN, pumping afterwards if necessary, feeding the baby what you pump as supplementation, and if you're still worried, take Fenugreek. DS is now 4.5 months old and thriving on my milk. I wish you the best and my deepest sympathy because I know how hard this time is for you right now. IT WILL GET BETTER!!!

Wow! such flashbacks to my first days of nursing. Hope it's getting a bit better. We had the same issues and DD actually had to go back to the ER and be admitted to ped unit when only 6 days old. Lots of same issues (difficulty latching, pain, thrush, didn't know if she was getting enough, weight loss). Turned out she had a "bug" that she probably got in the hospital and couldn't shake. Hang in there because it does get easier and is totally worth it. The first 6-8 weeks were really tough but now it is so easy. The LC's and bf support helped so much. I had to do a lot of pumping to keep everything stimulated. The ibuprofen did help as did ice packs after nursing (and both are safe for you and baby). Hang in there and best of luck!

Thanks for your help. Out of worry and per doctor's direction, we did supplement with formula (only 2-4 ounces per day) for 4 days and he gained 4 ounces. That was day 13 and he was still 7 oz. short of his birth weight. We used formula for a day or two after that and just going with BF (w/ some pumping) for now. He will be weighed again at day 20, so we hope that he's gaining weight. He does seem to be hungry all the time lately. Pain is getting a bit better, but still seems to be an issue.