Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HI Mamas! I need your help

Default HI Mamas! I need your help

MY LO just turned a year old and I am planning a very slow,,, gentle weaning. I would first like to start with night weaning. For those of you who have night weaned,,, how did you do it? Cold turkey? Did u bring a sippy cup or bottle to offer? I tried a sippy cup of water two nights ago and he screamed. Not real sure how to do this. I looked online for some books but didnt really find any that suited my needs. I am VERY tired from not sleeping at night and really could use some sleep. He still has nver slept thru the night and wakes at least 3 times a night to nurse.
    OH yeah, another question, Im curious,,, does anyone have a lo that you co-sleep with that also sleeps thru the night?
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Default Re: HI Mamas! I need your help

Some mamas here have used Dr Jay Gordon night weaning method. I'm in the same boat as you. Will be trying the night weaning method one night soon.

I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

We used the Dr Jay Gordon method, and modified it a bit. I basically took 3 months - from the time my daughter was 18mo to 21 mo because it was better for her to do it really slowly. I waited until that point because I wanted her to have some understanding of postponing nursing, so around 15 months I started having her wait to nurse until we got home, or until after we played with a few toys, etc.

A word of caution - night weaning doesn't necessarily mean your lo will sleep through the night. It didn't for my daughter. I just used other comfort measures to help her go back to sleep. And we coslept at the time and still do. So you might end up awake during the night even if you aren't nursing at night. For us, my daughter would still wake up, but it did lessen and I would give her a drink of water (she was genuinely thirsty when she woke up at night for a while after night weaning) and I'd rub her back a bit to help her go back to sleep.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Hello! I think you replied to my post about weaning and weight loss. I'm reading the book, The no-cry sleep method and the Dr. Gordan's method. He slept for the first time all night (10pm-4:30am) Sat. night. But I think it was because he missed his afternoon nap... he just slept for about 45 min in the car and he had ate more threw the day. But last night he was up again at 11:30, and then again about every 1hr-1/12 hr and would not eat very much threw the day. I think if he will eat more table/baby food threw the day I will start seeing a difference. He pretty much only wants to nurse about 4 times a day when I'm home with him on the wkends. I hope this helps you. I plan on to continue to co-sleep and I'm just going to try to confort him threw the night without offering to nurse, unless he is really upset and acts truly hungry!! Good luck and let me know how things go!
    Rachel

Proud Mom of 3 beautiful children, Jadelynne, Jaymison, and Braylon!!

We also used the Dr. Gordon method, when DS was about 15mo or so. I modified it as well, stretching it over a few weeks. We cosleep, and DS does sleep all night (until about 5:30, when DH's alarm goes off). That being said, we've backslid a few times. Twice when DS was teething, he started waking up at night (in pain), and I decided that it was only right to nurse him back to sleep since he was truly suffering. The same thing happened when he was fighting a nasty cold, and again, I made the decision to nurse him to help him get better more quickly. I had to "re-night-wean" after each instance, but each time it only took a few days and was pretty easy.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    We also used the Dr. Gordon method, when DS was about 15mo or so. I modified it as well, stretching it over a few weeks. We cosleep, and DS does sleep all night (until about 5:30, when DH's alarm goes off). That being said, we've backslid a few times. Twice when DS was teething, he started waking up at night (in pain), and I decided that it was only right to nurse him back to sleep since he was truly suffering. The same thing happened when he was fighting a nasty cold, and again, I made the decision to nurse him to help him get better more quickly. I had to "re-night-wean" after each instance, but each time it only took a few days and was pretty easy.
    each time to had to "re-night-wean" did u just use the same method From Dr. Gordon? I've read it and I really love his approach,,,, can't wait to give it a try.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chi829 View Post
    each time to had to "re-night-wean" did u just use the same method From Dr. Gordon? I've read it and I really love his approach,,,, can't wait to give it a try.
    Yep, I did - only since it was a repetition, I only took a day with each step. I would've taken longer if it had seemed necessary, but since each step came easily I moved right on. (The first "re-night-weaning" I took two days with one of the steps, I don't remember which one. I moved on when each step was peaceful/easy.) I Dr. Gordon's philosophy & gentle approach. And the fact that it can ebb and flow (being flexible during teething, illness, etc.) makes it really work for me. I can get my sleep, most of the time, and still be there when DS actually needs me.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png