Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with block feeding

Default Help with block feeding

I have had OALD and oversupply since the beginning and my DD is now 7 weeks old and we are still struggling with this. For the last week or so her poops have all been green and mucousy and she is getting fussier during nursing so I know I really need to get this under control. She is already a one-side nurser typically nursing on one breast for around 10 minutes per feeding. She does seem to want to feed often during the day though, every 2 hours usually. I'm not sure how to do block feeding since I'm already only offering one breast per feeding. Do I offer the same breast for two feedings? Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Default Re: Help with block feeding

some moms start with 4 hour blocks.
    If baby askes to eat with in that 4 hour time frame offer the 1st breast.
    After the 4 hour block is over start with the 2nd breast.
    Does that make sence.

You've been pumping extra right? You might choose to pump a few times a day and then cut thoose out slowly.

oh and I want to add that your baby is very young yet
    things are going to get beter over time!

For me, blockfeeding helps when I bf dd 2 times on one side before switching. Regardless of how together/apart those 2 feedings are. It's up to her because I feed on demand. If the other side gets full or engorged in the meantime, I'll manually express until I feel comfortable. I avoid pumping it out because then I'll start making more milk. My body likes making lots of milk
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Thanks! How soon should I be able to tell if the block feeding is helping? I've been trying it for a couple of days and DD seems to be less fussy but Poops are stll bright green and frothy :-(

Are you still getting pretty engorged even with the block feeding? You may need to increase your time blocks. We had a lady at one of my LLL meetings who was actually doing 24 hour blocks ...she could have fed quadruplets I think! I wouldn't do anything so extreme, just giving an example of how everyone's needs are different when it comes to block feeding. If you do need to increase your time blocks, keep an eye on wet/poopy diapers and make sure you're still getting enough output. If you get any sort of decrease at all, go back to what you were doing before.

Are you getting mucus in the poops at all? When you do get the oversupply under control, and you are still getting green/frothy/mucus poops, you should take steps to rule out food intolerances.

MTA: If you are doing any extra pumping, I agree that it's a good idea to start cutting some sessions out until things are under control as this will only contribute to your oversupply. I did the same thing to myself without even realizing it!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Thanks for all of the help! I have been doing the 4 hr. blocks for about 4 days and today DD's Poops were back to yellow/seedy She is also being a lot less fussy when she nurses! How do I know now when to stop the block feeding and go back to normal? I don't want to do it too much and have my supply dip too low. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cheer4182 View Post
    Thanks for all of the help! I have been doing the 4 hr. blocks for about 4 days and today DD's Poops were back to yellow/seedy She is also being a lot less fussy when she nurses! How do I know now when to stop the block feeding and go back to normal? I don't want to do it too much and have my supply dip too low. Thanks!
    I don't think you supply will drop, but more like regulate to what baby actually needs and takes. If you feel like you're not getting "full" drink plenty of water and eat some oatmeal. That always brings my supply back up to where I feel "full". If I eat oatmeal, I'll know it within 2 hrs.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...