Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doesn't want solids anymore and BF more

Default doesn't want solids anymore and BF more

Brandon is 6.5 months old. We are EBF and we started solids about 1.5 months ago. All was well until this week. All of a sudden he's decided that he doesn't want the solids anymore and he wants to BF every 1.5-2 hours. He keeps his lips shut tight when I approach him with a spoon of food....it's actually kinda cute.

He also does not care for the 'mixed' foods. I make all of his food and was starting him on combination foods (like apples mixed with bananas or carrots mixed with chicken). He will eat the foods individually, but not mixed....picky, picky. LOL

The advice that I'm seeking is in regards to his lack of solids. It's affecting his sleep.....especially at night. AND, the BFing every 1.5-2 hours is killing me. What should I do? I work from home and the lack of naps, feeding every 1.5-2 hours and lack of sleep at night is wearing on me. Is this a phase?

Thanks in advance!
    Heather

Default Re: doesn't want solids anymore and BF more

Could he be teething perhaps? At this age, breastmilk should still be the main part of his diet and solids are just for learning and experimenting, so I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating too much solids yet. Just keep offering. Do you co-sleep? Maybe that would you help you get more sleep as well.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Yes, he is teething, but I don't remember that affecting my other kids' appetites. All kids are different though, right?

I don't co-sleep. I would love to, but DH is very afraid of having him in our bed because he tends to move around alot. He is also a very LOUD snore-er and keeps LO awake. Doesn't work well for either of them. After DH leaves in the AM, if LO wakes up I will bring him to bed with me and he does sleep better. Plus, during the day I try to cuddle as much as possible......LOVE that!

I just feel like we are back to when he was a week old and I spend the entire day with him attached to me. I guess it's temporary though.....please tell me it's temporary. I love BFing and wouldn't trade the time that I spend with him for anything, but I'm a little worn out.

Thanks for responding.

You know I'm a first time mom, and I don't know much, but it does sound like teething, but the other thing is I just think that baby's have times where all they want to do is be by mom or they really want to be comforted. You're just the love of his life
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Aw, mama, it's a phase. Cuddle your baby and just keep offering solids.

Maybe he's like to play with some safe stuff for self feeding? Puffs, soft pieces of banana...have you looked into baby led solids at all? My DD would never let me spoon feed her.. But offering some safe first foods might be a way for you to stress less and him to still enjoy mealtimes, yk?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

You know, My DD is 7 months old and I introduced baby food and rice cereal at about 5.5mo. Just experimented with her, because she was so interested in my food. Anytime we would sit down to eat I would offer her some baby food. About the only thing she actually cares for more on is Apricots and Sweet Potatoes. Other than that she seems to turn her nose up to baby food.

I have given her a halfed apple to play/taste with and she loved it. I just think she is more interested in the real deal. Check out this blogsite on Baby Led Solids Technique (BLS) http://babyledsolids.blogspot.com/

And this website also kind of explains it in more detailhttp://www.tribalbaby.org/babyLedEating.html

Dont feel pressure to start your baby on solids as they are just an add-on to breastfeeding right now. It doesnt become an important portion of their diet really until after they are a year old. Good Luck!! and dont stress.. the best thing is your baby loves to Breastfeed! Just be patient and follow Baby's cues.
    Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. ~John W. Whitehead, The Stealing of America, 1983

Children seldom misquote. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said. ~Author Unknown

Brandon was actually doing just fine with solids until recently....like he woke up on day and decided that he didn't want it anymore. He only wanted breast milk. Today was the first time in over a week that he ate a little peaches at lunch and squash for dinner.....but not his usual amount.

Hopefully, he'll sleep better tonight because he has some food in his tummy.....mommy sure could use some sleep.

Thanks ladies for your guidance!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nvmom2009 View Post
    Yes, he is teething, but I don't remember that affecting my other kids' appetites. All kids are different though, right?

I don't co-sleep. I would love to, but DH is very afraid of having him in our bed because he tends to move around alot. He is also a very LOUD snore-er and keeps LO awake. Doesn't work well for either of them. After DH leaves in the AM, if LO wakes up I will bring him to bed with me and he does sleep better. Plus, during the day I try to cuddle as much as possible......LOVE that!

I just feel like we are back to when he was a week old and I spend the entire day with him attached to me. I guess it's temporary though.....please tell me it's temporary. I love BFing and wouldn't trade the time that I spend with him for anything, but I'm a little worn out.

Thanks for responding.
    It could be teething or it could be that he's about to get a cold or something like that, either way, I agree, at this age solids are just for experimenting so I wouldn't worry about that.

About co-sleeping, I was going to suggest to attach his crib to your bed but that wouldn't work if DH snores. What about you going to his room? Could you put a queen mat on the floor?

My son totally lost interest in solids when he was teething. Right around the time we started him at 6 months he had 6 teeth come in at once and all he really wanted was milk. He showed interest again when it was over.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    My son totally lost interest in solids when he was teething. Right around the time we started him at 6 months he had 6 teeth come in at once and all he really wanted was milk. He showed interest again when it was over.

That's how C was as well. He went through phases, teething or not, where sometimes he would eat whatever I put in front of him to where he only wanted to nurse. As long as he is getting plenty of your milk, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It sounds like you are doing just great and, like the previous posters mentioned, solids are mainly for experimentation purposes only at this point.