Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!ped is pushing for solids!

Default Help!ped is pushing for solids!

well,it all started at the 4 mos visit (!) ped checked DS said it was doing very well and then.. you can start to give him some grated apple or pear!
    I asked if it was not too young and she said it was fine.
    of course I didn't give DS any solid and at his 5 mos visit ped asked "so did you give him some apple?" "nope" and she said I absolutely have to start before 6 mos because he needs to GET USED TO THE SPOON!!!
    OMG how am I going to tell her we want to do BLS?
    we already discuss everytime because we are totally no-vax friendly...in 15 days we have the 6 mos visit...I feel so bad because I neither want to lie nor argue..any advice?

Default Re: Help!ped is pushing for solids!

If you don't want the ped's visits to be a warfront, can you change to one who is more bf- and bls-friendly? It's always good to find someone that is in-tune with your decisions or respects them enough to not butt in. As for delaying solids, you are right and if you will, take some info sheets with you so you can provide your ped with them. Who knows, maybe she'll back off. Here are some, to start you off:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:st arting-solid-foods&catid=5&Itemid=17
    In the kellymom one are more links for you to explore!
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elimaka View Post
    OMG how am I going to tell her we want to do BLS?
    Just tell her. "We're taking a BLS approach to solid foods, so I don't care if she gets used to the spoon or not."

If your doc browbeats you about choosing a BLS approach, then she's not the pediatrician for you and it's time to look for another. If she listens respectfully and says "Well, that's not how most of my families go about it but your child is obviously thriving," then she's worth sticking with.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I find the idea that the baby needs to get used to the spoon bizarre!!

I agree - find a new doc?

I just wanted to add that we did BLS sort of by accident. My LO wouldn't take ANYTHING by spoon. It wasn't the spoon but the texture of the stuff that you need a spoon for. He didn't use a spoon himself or take anything by spoon till he was at least two. Now he's 3 and uses a spoon quite well. Took him a few tries to get it but he's not under-spoon-developed or anything!

I'd just tell your Ped how your going to do things, you don't have to defend your parenting decisions. YOU are paying her after all!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    Now he's 3 and uses a spoon quite well. Took him a few tries to get it but he's not under-spoon-developed or anything!
    Yes! You should tell her this exact phrase when you defend your stance on BLS!
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

Well,I think I will try to explain my intentions to her and not argue...I can't really change ped because in my country peds are in the public health system and you have to chose one in your district.I live in a very small town and so there's just her.
    I also have a private ped who is an homeopatic antropossophic doctor but I have to see the other one too because our health system is based on those public doctors.
    It's good and bad altogether!!!
    I will also try to find something to print for her even if here in Italy BLS is not so common yet!

I can't add anything to the great suggestions from pps, but I just wanted to say . Also, BLS are great, I'm so glad that you're going that route!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    I find the idea that the baby needs to get used to the spoon bizarre!!
    same here. MAYBE there's an argument for getting a baby (although not 4 mos) used to textures, but not silverware.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling