Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any of you like the Medela Harmony?

Default Any of you like the Medela Harmony?

I already have a Medela PISA and an Avent ISIS IQ Uno which I had used as a manual from time to time when I was nursing DS.

I probably won't be needing to use either electric pumps this time around since I'm a SAHM now. So, I was thinking about getting the Harmony to relieve engorgement for the short random times that I might need it. I loved how comfortable my Avent pump is but I always had issues losing suction when using it cause my milk would get between the cushion and horn. So, with all that said, would you recommend the Harmony or some other manual out there? TIA!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi I'm Stella, mom to Owen (12/06) and Nathan (07/10) and wife to Dale
    Holy Batman! with another BOY due to arrive July 2011

Default Re: Any of you like the Medela Harmony?

I have the Harmony (to go along with my Swing) and I do like it. I don't think any manuals are as comfy as electrics which is why I splurged on a Swing even though I don't work, but I think this is about as comfy as it can get for a manual! I like how it still has the 2 phase expression (a smaller handle to pump faster until letdown, then flip it around and use the bigger handle for normal expression).

HTH!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sbbeana View Post
    I already have a Medela PISA and an Avent ISIS IQ Uno which I had used as a manual from time to time when I was nursing DS.

I probably won't be needing to use either electric pumps this time around since I'm a SAHM now. So, I was thinking about getting the Harmony to relieve engorgement for the short random times that I might need it. I loved how comfortable my Avent pump is but I always had issues losing suction when using it cause my milk would get between the cushion and horn. So, with all that said, would you recommend the Harmony or some other manual out there? TIA!
    I bought the Harmony a few days ago. I like it. I have an original PIS and will be going back to work in another month but needed something different because my nipples were damaged by my DDs vorascious sucking in the early days. The soft shield is very comfortable but I found that the breast tissue of the outer aereola and outward would stick to the soft latex of the shield toward the end of the pumping session. When I used Lansinoh to coat the area, it removed more easily. Not everyone has this problem, apparently. I use it to pump on the more painful side while DD nurses on the less painful side so it does express a good amount of milk and is very compact. If you want to take it with you somewhere, it packs compactly. I'd recommend packing it in a lunchbox cooler and then you have a built-in storage for the expressed milk.

Hope this helps!

I have a harmony and like it!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you for your input. I went to BRU today and bought one
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi I'm Stella, mom to Owen (12/06) and Nathan (07/10) and wife to Dale
    Holy Batman! with another BOY due to arrive July 2011

I actually ONLY have a Harmony. I've never used an electric pump, only the Harmony. And I do fine with it, even pumping at work (part time).