Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: raw fish?

Default raw fish?

i cannot find any solid answers on the 'net about when i can safely give dd raw fish. i live on an island, and raw fish is plentiful and a major food staple here. local women all tell me their babies were eating poke (ahi tuna) by age 1, and i know that in asian culture, babies eat sashimi, sushi, etc at early ages..

i'm not like, desperate to give her raw fish, but dh and i eat it often, so it's here in the house a lot, and is also at parties and others' houses where we take dd..

any moms have any input? i do plan on asking pedi at 1-yr check up.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Default Re: raw fish?

You got me. I sushi and I would think that Japanese culture feeds babies this at a young age.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

For me, this question is all about balancing the risk.

I am landlocked, so trusting a source for "fresh" fish is difficult here. You live on an island where fresh fish is plentiful. I would just do the research on how to do it safely and go with your gut.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

we eat a lot of raw fish as well. Max had it when he was one no problem. As you mentioned I know where to go to get the freshest fish and I made sure to only feed him low mercury types.