Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you start solids??

Default How do you start solids??

I'm so confused! My dd is 5 months old. I'm debating whether to introduce solids or not. I'm exclusively bfing and inteded to until at least 6 months. She'll sit with support, push w/her feet/legs on tummy (not exactly crawl, but getting the ), and we give her a sippy cup w/a little bit of water at dinner time for her to feel like she's "eating" to. When she sees it, she'll reach out for it. When I eat, I make it a point to exaggerate the movements so that she gets the idea of eating. Lately, she's been interested in everything we put in our mouths. If I go to take a sip from my beverage, or take a bite out of food, she'll follow it to my mouth 'til I set it back down again. If she's close enough, she'll reach for the plate and try to grab it. I have a cup w/a straw, and the other day I was carrying her and my cup, and she went to put her mouth on the straw. Of course, I didn't let her because I had been using that straw.

She's also teething and waking up more during the night, whereas before, she was sleeping from 9pm-7am. I don't know if it's more because of the teething, or is she not getting full anymore?

Should I start? If so, HOW? With what? How much? What about bfing? Do I continue as normal? I'm SO confused. I don't want my supply to go down, because if for some reason she were to wean herself off the breast, she WON'T take bottles so how would she get her milk? or any liquids for that matter? to keep hydrated.

Please help Any suggestions would really help. Thank you ladies.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: How do you start solids??

There's really no rush in starting solids. You can still wait until she turns 6 months old. Check out this link on when and why. She could be waking frequently due to teething, growth spurt or maybe reaching a developmental milestone (sitting up, crawling). Solids won't be replacing bfing yet anyways. Until she turns a year old, solids are just for learning and experimenting with new tastes and textures and motor skills. Breastmilk should still be the most important part of her diet. Even after she turns a year old, her transition to mainly solids will be gradual.

When she does start solids, you can try the baby led solids approach to feeding. Skip the purees and give her soft finger foods and let her feed herself. Lots of mamas here do baby led solids, so I'm sure some of them will chime in.

Hope this helps!
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

with the previous post. My LO ist 7 months (today) and we started baby led solids the weekend after he turned 6 months. We're still going at a very slow pace since solids are just for mostly experimenting. You should also check out kellymom.com for some great advice.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

with the PPs. There's no rush to offer solids before 6 months, and as long as you are nursing on demand I highly doubt that the increased night-waking is due to "not getting full." Teething and development are much better bets.

According to my pediatrician, solids are not nutritionally necessary until the first birthday- they're just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. After the first birthday, they are an increasingly important part of the baby's diet, but the transition from needing only mama's milk to a majority-solids diet is a gradual one, with many babies still mostly breastfed well into their second year.

So try to think of solids as a fun new game: if you offer some solids and she eats some- great! If she tastes them and she spits them out- fine! If she won't open her mouth and prefers to smear the solids around with her hands- still a triumph! Don't expect your baby to eat much, especially at first. My kid didn't eat more than a teaspoon or two of solid food per day until she was well over a year.

The best way to make sure that the baby receives the maximum amount of breastmilk when also eating solids is to always nurse right before you offer the solids, at least until the 1st birthday.

Baby-led solids is a great way to introduce your child to solid foods. Just put some pea-sized or smaller chunks/strands of very soft food on her tray, and let her maneuver them into her mouth. Soft, cooked, mashed carrots, squashed peas, and small chunks of sweet potatoes make good starter foods for a BLS approach.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

[QUOTE=@llli*mommal;807955
    So try to think of solids as a fun new game: if you offer some solids and she eats some- great! If she tastes them and she spits them out- fine! If she won't open her mouth and prefers to smear the solids around with her hands- still a triumph! [/QUOTE]

That's a good way of putting it. So, she'll have 6 months to practice her eating habits
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

It is kind of overwhelming to start solids - I know, having just done it with my guy two months ago! You just get into a good routine breastfeeding then you feel like you have to add this other thing to the game?!?! A couple ideas for you:

I waited till my little guy (a preemie) was gestationally 6 months old before solids, and we didn't really get going till 7 months. So there's no rush. The fact that your baby is interested is a good thing!

I did start with watered down baby oatmeal (b/c I thought it tasted better than rice cereal. I just offered it once a day or every other day for a couple weeks until he got the hang of it and seemed eager for it. He really didn't eat much at first. When he was getting enthusiastic, I thickened it up and gave him more.

BLS (baby-led solids) is one way of introducing solids, and is popular on this forum, but it is not the only way. I have been more of a pureed food traditionalist. I pretty much always BF before giving solids so that he fills up on breastmilk, and then the solids are more of a topping-off dessert than a main course.

I actually then gave up the oatmeal for awhile in favor of introducing some other foods (still once a day at that point), starting with sweet potato. My guy loved that! I have made some of my own foods, like sweet potato, squash, pears, and applesauce, and frozen it in ice cube trays for single servings. I often buy organic baby food from the store, too - especially if it's something I don't make often. I also tried to start with more veggies than fruits, but so far it hasn't been a problem with him favoring one over the other.

So now, about two and a half months after we've started, I give him solids 2-3 times a day, often a cereal for breakfast, veggies for lunch, and fruits for dinner.

A couple great books you can read as well as the suggested kellymom websites are:

"Feeding Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe, Nutrition" by Alan Greene, MD

"Whole Foods for Babies and Toddlers" by Margaret Kenda - this one has recipes and preparation suggestions if you want to make your own - I've really enjoyed that!

Best wishes - hope that helps!!!
    Mommy to Brennan
    - born 12/18/08 at 31 wks, 3 lb 10 oz - Now 10 months old, 17 lbs, and doing great!

Still and BumGenius cloth diapers - no end in sight!

Thank you very much for the info finally-a-mommy
    Since she'll be 6 months on Thanksgiving Day, maybe I could give her some plain mashed potato
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

You're very welcome!

Mashed potato sounds like a great first food - just make it really soft/runny, and perhaps mix in some of your own breastmilk. And how fun to do it on Thanksgiving for a 6-month birthday!

Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions. I'm no pro, for sure, but I'm more than happy to share how we're muddling along!
    Mommy to Brennan
    - born 12/18/08 at 31 wks, 3 lb 10 oz - Now 10 months old, 17 lbs, and doing great!

Still and BumGenius cloth diapers - no end in sight!

On Sunday, I pinched off a piece of banana and gave it to her, and she didn't seem to fond of it I don't know if it was the texture or the taste I'm thinking she might go for the pureed foods instead, that's why I thought about the mashed potato. Plus, she'll be exactly 6 months, so that will be a good 1/2 yr treat...I hope.
    Thank you so much finally-a-mommy!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Hey Juliet! We're gonna start over Thanksgiving sometime too. DH is really excited because he's a chef and it's his thing to make food. He's gonna make all of Silas's food fresh instaed of buying jar food. He wants to be a part of feeding him. We're gonna do some purees to start even though it's old school DH decided sweet potato was first on the list. My friend gave us some great tips on this if you want them. Let me know.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together