Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for 5 min then stopping

Question Pumping for 5 min then stopping

I am a new mom of a 7 week old and am just starting to pump. I have a Medela pump in style and after a few minutes the milk starts to flow and then stops so I stop pumping. I get about a half ounce from each breast. Is this the wrong thing to do? The reason I stop is because my breasts start to ache shortly after I start pumping. I purchased the next size breast shield to see if that would help but that didn't do anything. My nipples do not touch anywhere in the shield. It is the areola that is really sore after pumping which makes me not want to do it all. Thoughts?

Default Re: Pumping for 5 min then stopping

Do you have the suction up really high? I only turn mine to about 25% on the pump in style advanced. With the lactina, I have to have it at just above min.

If you continue to pump after the first let down, you will get more. Try turning the suction down and maybe put lanolin on your areola. It sounds like it is rubbing. And maybe the shields are too big?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if the shields were to big as well but they look ok. I will see if they have smaller ones. Pumping should not hurt though, right? I did have it about the 25% mark but realized if I turned it up, I pumped faster but maybe that is not the best thing for me to do. I will go shopping for smaller shields. Thanks!

I can't look at it at work, but there is a link that shows what the correct position in the shield should be. Maybe it's on Medela's website? Or maybe someone else will come along and link it up for you.

Did it hurt when you were at the 25% mark, or just after you turned up the suction?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months