Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Normal" amount pumped?

Question "Normal" amount pumped?

I was just curious, what is considered a normal or good amount of milk to get from pumping in one session--and how long does you pump to get that amount? And I guess I should ask too, what kind of pump you use.

I do realize that this is greatly going to vary from person to person. I was just trying to get several responses to see what other peoples results are compared to mine.
    Last edited by @llli*punkysquirrel; October 22nd, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
    Married to my best friend Matt, 10/14/06.
    First time mom to Aiden, born 09/22/09.
    He was 7 lbs. 14 oz. and 20 inches long at birth.

Default Re: "Normal" amount pumped?

I use a Medela Lactina and a PISA, same general output with both.

Mine vary from 3 ounces to 10 ounces once

Usually I get 4 ounces, takes about 20 minutes, sometimes less, sometimes more. Generally I stop when I get to 4 ounces unless I'm in the middle of a letdown.

I am only pumping once a day now, and got 7 ounces yesterday, 5 from the right and 2 from the left. I think it will even out to about 5 ounces a day next week.

ETA: I have had oversupply problems in the past and respond VERY well to the pump usually.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Lansinoh, double electric pump. In the morning I usually get about 7oz (5 left and 2 right). I pump once or twice later in the day, normally within an hour of a feeding and get 3.5oz (2.5 left and 1 right). Pumpings usually go 10 min.

Everyone's different. I only ever got about 3, maybe 4 at a time using a PISA.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

i have the ameda purely yours ultra its a double electric pump. i haven't pumped in place of a feeding yet but i get 1-2oz in between feedings...slow and steadily building up my supply (again ) after finding out DS has a milk allergy! So discouraged, but taking it one day at at time as i return to work in a couple of weeks...oh sorry tangent. anywhoo. hope i get as much milk as some of the other ladies get!!
    -----------------
    Tiffany
    Mom to a beautiful baby boy born 8/18/09
    At our house we and love our
    If I'm here I'm

I use Medela pump n style for 10 minutes I get about 6 oz /session but in the mornings I get about 8-10 oz.

I use the Medela Pump in Style and I pump while at work, every two hours and get about 2 ounces on the right and one ounce on the left each time I pump.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

I used the Medela Freecycle. When I was away from DS (at work), I pumped 4-5 oz per session, 3 sessions/day.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    I used the Medela Freecycle. When I was away from DS (at work), I pumped 4-5 oz per session, 3 sessions/day.
    Hey, Imma....New pump Medela came out with?? The recycled kind, right?? (JK! )

Yes, love my Freestyle....I usually get anywhere from 4-8 oz. per session...
    I usually get lots more in the AM hours, less in the PM...

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

I'm using the Medela Swing. I generally get about 1-1.5 ounces for every hour since I've pumped (except for early morning). I'll get about 6 oz at 5 am, 4.5 at 9 am, 3.5 at 12:30 pm, 3 at 2:30 pm, and about 2.5 at 5 pm.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.