Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advise on weaning, because of weight loss

Default I need advise on weaning, because of weight loss

Hello I posted a similar question under Fitness and no one replied. I need help. My health is going down hill and I'm loosing weight and everyone around me thinks it's because I'm still nursing my 12 month old - almost, will be 1 on Halloween Anyway, I have lost over 14 lbs in 6 months (127 to 113 now) and I went to the doctor and they said all of my blood work was fine, thyroid and vitamin levels. They contrubited it to lack of sleep (he's co-sleeps and still nurses 3 times a night) and stress (have a 8 yr old and a 6 yr old and I work full time) and of coarse told me I need to stop nursing and to get 8 hrs a sleep at night. My family is all over me and feels this is why I'm loosing all of this weight. They feel my son wants to nurse all of the time due to anxiety and it would be best for him and myself to wean. I don't want to, but I can't continue to lose this weight. PLEASE HELP!!

Default Re: I need advise on weaning, because of weight loss

Mama. This sounds like a really stressful situation.

First off, are you eating what you need to? Are you having high calorie snacks? Do you have any dietary restrictions? We can help you plan meals with "extra" calories so you have more fuel.

I don't have any advice on the weaning. I would ask what do YOU want to do? Ignore your well-meaning friends and family, because they are not in the nursing relationship. That is something between your DS and you. Do you want to wean? Would night weaning help you? BF doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition, especially as baby nears the 12 month mark. If he is taking solids well, then you can certainly work something out that allows you to get the rest and energy you need to be there for your family.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Probably an obvious question, but are you eating enough?

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Mama. This sounds like a really stressful situation.

First off, are you eating what you need to? Are you having high calorie snacks? Do you have any dietary restrictions? We can help you plan meals with "extra" calories so you have more fuel.

I don't have any advice on the weaning. I would ask what do YOU want to do? Ignore your well-meaning friends and family, because they are not in the nursing relationship. That is something between your DS and you. Do you want to wean? Would night weaning help you? BF doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition, especially as baby nears the 12 month mark. If he is taking solids well, then you can certainly work something out that allows you to get the rest and energy you need to be there for your family.
    Agree with all of this!

Also, weaning isn't a magical guarantee that your DS will sleep through the night. What would the doctor suggest THEN if you're still not getting 8 straight hours? If the night nursing IS too much for you then night weaning is possible without fully weaning.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

yup weaning does't macicly make a child sleep all night.

WEan slowly over time with love.

with the PPs- weaning is between you and your child. If you want to wean, it's usually best to go kind of slow, eliminating one feeding at a time until they are all gone.

Night-weaning can be a terrific way to start the weaning process. A lot of moms here, myself included, have used the Dr. Jay Gordon method or something like it to get our kids to give up night-nursing. I'd also recommend reading Elizabeth Pantley's The No-Cry Sleep Solution for helpful, extremely gentle tips on getting your child to sleep longer and more independently.

Have you seen a nutritionist? If you keep a food diary for a week or two, the nutritionist might be able to pick up on alterations you could make to your diet and exercise routine that would allow you to maintain your current weight or even gain back what you've lost.

Even if you choose not to wean, things should start looking up in a few months as your baby transitions to a majority solid food diet. He will very likely naturally slack off on the nursing, even if you do little or nothing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My best friend is having this same issue, although I think that she is under 100 pounds now, at about 5'7"... she's hoping that when she stops pumping at work during the day that it will help. Are you pumping while you are at work?

Do you think that you could start eating a TON more? I read on a thread somewhere on here or kellymom about a mom that was drinking Ensure instead of water basically to try and keep the weight on.

What is it that you want to do?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tks so much for your responses. I am pumping at work. This wk I finally transitioned to pumping on the way to work for a few mintues and then pumping around lunch time. He will nurse when I get home around 5:00 and then at bed time and then threw the night. So, it's sounds like there are some other mother's that go threw the same thing? I'm 5'8" and I've never been this skinny. To answer many of you, no I'm not ready to stop nursing. I think by cutting back my pumping sessions to only one and trying to gently cut back the night feeding I should see a difference. I'm ready the book The no-cry sleep solution while I'm pumping. I'm going to start tracking this wkend while I'm home threw the day. But my son does not eat alot of baby food or table food and that's another reason my step-mom is so addiment that I stop nursing. She thinks he's nursing so much he don't want to eat normal food. I don't know... I guess I just want to find a happy medium. If I could just keep my weight on and feel a little better I would not like to change a thing about him nursing. But that's not the case. I'm not a big vegetable eater and I try to eat fruit, but I eat a lot of breads, pastas, turkey, chicken... I eat three meals a day and probably 2-3 snacks. does anyone have any ideas of how many calories I should be eating to maintain or gain a few pounds? Tks again everyone!

Well, you know that you are losing weight at some rate - is it a pound a week or something like that? When I was trying to lose weight I initially cut out something like 200 calories a day to lose roughly that much. I can't remember. You can look at the number of calories in a pound...

Could you try to add in another snack every day, or even drink an Ensure shake or something like that, maybe make your own with yogurt and avacado in the middle of the night one time when he nurses?

My daughter is the same way - she'll be one on Saturday and she doesn't eat very many solids, nurses at least three times over night and actually doesn't drink very much of the milk that I pump during the day. I have lost a lot of weight too, but I have extra, so it's not a big deal. It sounds like you're eating about the same amount as me, which may only be about 2000 calories or so.

You should probably aim for 2500 calories to stop losing weight and perhaps 3000 to start gaining. You'll probably feel better at a healthier weight and people will get off your back about the nursing.

Can you go to a nutrionist/dietician? I think that's a GREAT idea! Definitely start logging your food for a few days to see how many calories you are eating - and try to add some more.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

If you like bread, try coconut oil on it. The unrefined kind has a really nice mild coconut flavor and is packed with nutrition. I put extra butter and olive oil on dd's pasta, to add calories, and extra coconut oil or butter on veggies. Full fat yogurt, which can be hard to find, but Yobaby organics is a good source, is also a great food. I buy the Mountain High and add maple syrup and fruit to it for our family. My ds started eating a lot more table food aorund the one year mark, so maybe your dc will too.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes