Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr. says not to nurse after one!

Default Re: Dr. says not to nurse after one!

The thing is that once your child turns 1 they don't magically become perfect solid-consuming toddlers. It is a slow transition and you might not even see an interest in your child with solids until several months after he turns 1. So it makes no sense to stop nursing at that point IMO. Your doc gave you short advice without taking the whole picture into consideration.

The only part that can change is you should encourage solids first before nursing sometime around the first year. Even that, some babies are ready for at the 12 month mark and some are not.

I would suggest continuing to offer a variety of textures and flavors at 9 months. Finger foods are a lot of fun too! So many good ideas on here in the solids section as well.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Your doctor is telling you to wean...and right in the middle of cold and flu season.

DS ate few solids around 1 year, but started eating tons of solids (plus still tons of milk too) around 15 months which was coincidentally when he started walking and presumably needed the extra energy.

Our doctor gave us a bit of a lecture around 1 year and that was the last time we saw her. My thinking is if they're that dumb, how can you trust them with the medical stuff?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Just to put things in perspective - I have a nephew who will be 2 years old in two weeks. He was formula fed and then switched to cow's milk at 1 year. He still gets most of his calories from cow's milk - and I bet your pediatrician would be happy with that arrangement. Why is cow's milk better than human milk for human babies? I cannot understand it! (Obviously it's not)
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

and now there is research showing breast milk has stem cells. How cool is that? Quit at one? No thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Quit at one? No thank you!

I love the way you put this.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Sounds like it's time to think about getting a new doctor. Ask around at your local LLL. Keep nursing and don't worry too much about the solids and texture issues right now. He's still so young.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    and now there is research showing breast milk has stem cells. How cool is that? Quit at one? No thank you!

I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Lots of good info already posted. If you otherwise like this doctor and believe he can learn things, then you can try educating him. If not, it's probably best to find a new doctor.
    My favorite response to a comment from doctors that "your milk has no nutritional value after 1 year" (or whatever time limit they use) is, "Oh my goodness! You mean my milk just turns to Kool-Aid!?" You might also mention that you weren't aware that your breasts had an expiration date. Sorry; up too late and getting punchy.

man, these ideas that some doctors pass around are just NUTS!

Why would our bodies be designed to do something that could potentially hurt our child??

And, what do the doctors think that people did thousands and thousands or years ago at age one? I guess maybe they think people just gave their babies cow's milk, but what about any people groups that didn't have cows or goats directly in their areas?

I feel like they don't even use common sense when they think about these things!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLfirstlight View Post
    You might also mention that you weren't aware that your breasts had an expiration date.
    So that's what the little numbers on the side are.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png