Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase: Best Storage Options

Default Lipase: Best Storage Options

Hello Mamas!

I have a mild lipase problem with my milk and have started pumping for my DD who is almost 2 mos old. I have another month at home before I go back to work to build up my stash and have a deep freezer for storage. Once back to work, I plan on pumping the previous day for the next day's use at day care.

1 - For those of you with this type of scenario, is there a preferred container that you found worked better at controlling the lipase than another? I guess my biggest question is whether the storage bags are sufficient or if glass is preferred for my stash in the deep freeze and for feedings to minimize the lipase affect.

2 - If bags are ok for long term storage, which bag have you found that worked better? I'm assuming that thinner plastic is more porous and would allow more oxygen contact for the lipase to do it's thing but does anyone have experience comparing the different bags out there?

3 - If glass bottles are better, what have you used? Is warming milk in a glass bottle (from refrigerated or frozen) too much more difficult than a bag?

To clarify, I have access to a full fridge at work and can transport my milk in a cooler for the next day's use so it wouldn't sit out at room temperature for any time at all.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by @llli*star.sapphire; October 27th, 2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: clarification
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.

Default Re: Lipase: Best Storage Options

The ONLY thing that I found that worked with excess lipase was to scald the EBM before storing.

See THIS THREAD for detailed instructions how to scald.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I am still reading the thread... I will be scalding the milk on Friday for Monday but I am still going to experiment to see if I can do a straight freeze if it'll stop the lipase action if stored in glass vs. plastic.
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*star.sapphire View Post
    I am still reading the thread... I will be scalding the milk on Friday for Monday but I am still going to experiment to see if I can do a straight freeze if it'll stop the lipase action if stored in glass vs. plastic.
    I just found out that I have a lipase issue with my milk after freezing it. I never tested it (poor Lilah - she's been drinking it for 8 months) and at this point I'm not going to start scalding it because I'm not planning on freezing any more milk. Lilah seems to drink the yucky frozen milk as well as the freshly expressed, so I guess she's used to it. Maybe that is why she refused bottles at the beginning, .

My milk does not go bad in the refrigerator after three or four days, it's just the freezing that does it apparently. I have frozen small amounts of milk in glass jars for cereal and the same thing happens as when it is frozen in the plastic bottles or the Medela bags.

Good luck with your experiments! I think the scalding instructions using bottle warmers look pretty easy and something you could even do at your desk. If I had figured this out months ago, I would have done the scalding.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months