Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby led soilds

Default baby led soilds

Hi,

I just read a couple comments in another post about baby led soilds. Also yesterday I read an article at the grocery store.

This sounds like a great way to intro food. Our LO is only 3 months but I would like to learn more.

Do you still need to intro some sort or cereal for the iron content?
    What are your experiences BLS.
    mamma to Chloe, July 10, 2009 and we

Default Re: baby led soilds

there really is no need for cereal regardless of what method you introduce food to baby

Lots of other foods have high iron and can be a better first food

There are tons of threads here about BLS - let me go get links for a few.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

guidelines document

book (haven't read it yet - but want to before DS#2 starts solids)

Ask lots of questions!

I did baby led solids with my DS#1 and plan to with #2 when he's ready. It's lots of fun and IME super easy.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

oh - and we skipped doing rice cereal and instead concentrated on introducing iron-rich foods
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    It's lots of fun and IME super easy.
    We did BLS with DS, and not only is it super-easy, it led to a child who will eat almost anything! (Still working on those hot peppers, a little at a time.) A great side benefit was that, since we were feeding DS the same foods we were eating, I got a kick in the pants to make sure that DH and I were always eating healthy food.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Hi there,

I did BLS with DD right from the start and it's going great. I think the best part is how easy it is when you're out of the house. Whether we're having a picnic outdoors or at a restaurant, it's so nice to just hand things to DD to work on by herself, rather than mess about with spoons and jars of puree. I even eat out with DD alone sometimes, and I actually get to eat, too!

This is a great forum, to see what you'll be getting into--it's not smooth sailing for everyone--and to get tips and info.

And this is a helpful article to read about babies and iron supplementation.

thank you all very much. i can't wait for solids now! a few more months of research and we r ready to go.

anymore info pls send it along.
    mamma to Chloe, July 10, 2009 and we

I'd like to include some mothers' stories in New Beginnings from moms who have tried baby led weaning when introducing solids to their babies.

I'd love to hear from you with your experiences and photos!

Many thanks in advance,

Barbara
    Managing Editor
    New Beginnings
    editornb@llli.org