Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and low milk production?

Default Pumping and low milk production?

Hi everyone. Initially, I was planning to bf exclusively. Now, I'm back to work and can't seem to pump more than 3 ounces during the ENTIRE day. I'm pumping exclusively now. How should I get my supply back!

Default Re: Pumping and low milk production?

Why are you pumping exclusively? the best way to get your supply back is nurse nurse nurse!

How old is your baby?

How long have you been pumping? Have you tried a different size shield or changed your membranes out?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Baby is 6 weeks. I started pumping because after the formula, he wouldn't take my breast anymore, and got frustrated...and I was scared I wasn't giving him enough. Thats why I thought I'd just pump and that way I'd know for sure he got 5 ounces (Which is what he needs now)
    I've been pumping for a week now? Will it take longer to get the production back up?? Or am I hopeless? Is it too far gone to get him back on the breast to stimulate production again?

Hopefully some others will come along and chime in, people have gotten babies back to the breast older than yours...

How long were you feeding him formula and not pumping/nursing?

There is an Increasing Your Milk section on here, you may find some good tips. Also check this site out:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html
    Tracie

Mommy to

I bottle-formula fed for about a week. I really hope I can get him back to the breast and still be able to pump at work! I was so determined in the beginning, I feel like a failure now!

You're not a failure. It will take some time to get things regulated. Can you tell us a little more about what you were doing and what you are doing now?

When did you bottle feed? Why? Did you go from exclusively nursing, then go to bottle?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You're not a failure.

I didn't see this earlier, here is a weaning from formula supplements link. It will probably give you some useful info.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Tracie

Mommy to

Hi there- My baby wouldn't latch at all despite LC visits, classes, nipple shields, etc. and the whole beginning was a nightmare. I was determined that she get breast milk though, and pumped exclusively the first 11-12 weeks and gave DD the breastmilk in a bottle. Every week or so I'd put her to the breast just to see, and then one day around 12 weeks, she somehow started to suck! Yay! We started transitioning to BF but I still pump 2-3 times a day. I don't know how/why DD figured out how to nurse--I wish I could explain it because it was a total mystery to me. The only thing I'd say is hang in there... you've got a shot your baby will go back to the breast. I'm lucky DD found her way, because after 12 weeks, I was totally ready to hang up the pump and give up as the whole experience was maddeningly frustrating and emotionally draining.

Good luck!